VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Only reason I mention this is that its new soft and apparently features GPU acceleration. I aim to try it out in the next two weeks to see if it really does offer any speed increase.

They claim 10x increase for converting to avc.
    But without any real stats or comparisons to back it up.

There is thirty day/50 encodes trial version
    min of 8600gt gfx ctard
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RabidDog
    Only reason I mention this is that its new soft and apparently features GPU acceleration. I aim to try it out in the next two weeks to see if it really does offer any speed increase.

They claim 10x increase for converting to avc.
    But without any real stats or comparisons to back it up.

There is thirty day/50 encodes trial version
    min of 8600gt gfx ctard
    i can vouch for the claims, i currently have espresso and power director 7 installed and here's a quick comparison test for you:

test hardware:

E7400 cpu, 2.66ghz, 1066mhz fsb

4 gigs ddr2 1066

9600gto

test:

source is a 1920x1080i 20mb/s mpeg-2 with 192 kb/s ac3, target is 720x480 16:9 6mb/s with 256kb/s ac3 audio (<--due to limitations of espresso)

first test, no gpu acceleration:

14min 30secs

second test, cuda enabled:

7min 10 secs

cpu usage in above tests was 100 percent at all times.

for comparison, i redid the test with badaboom, the only encoding app that does all the decoding and encoding on the video card itself, only caveat is that it limits the max bitrate to 5mb/s, so take that into account:

the encode was done in a touch under 6 min at 41 fps.

redid the above test with power director 7, which allows for manual setting of bitrates, 5mb/s with 256kb/s audio:

no cuda acceleration:

13min 30 secs

cuda enabled:

13 min

not exactly sure what's up with the power director 7 + cuda results, the encode compared to espresso slowed down by half, which is odd considering they both have the same encoding engine, reran the test a couple of times, always the same result, for some reason this particular encode was twice as fast using espresso than it's sibling software.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by deadrats
    Originally Posted by RabidDog
    Only reason I mention this is that its new soft and apparently features GPU acceleration.
    i can vouch for the claims...

first test, no gpu acceleration: 14min 30secs
    second test, cuda enabled: 7min 10 secs
    That's not 10x acceleration. Obviously, they're comparing to a very slow CPU by today's standards.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, it's faster (at least on my system), but the encoding options are very limited, with just 3 or 4 presets. I couldn't find a way to change any encoding options at all, not even the bitrate.

On my system it will encode a DVD to AVC much faster than, say x264 for example, but since the bitate is fixed at around 6000k, there's really no point at all in doing so, since the finished file is around the same size as the original.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    That's not 10x acceleration. Obviously, they're comparing to a very slow CPU by today's standards.
    Yep marketing bullsh*t...
    they put slowest cpu available with best graphics card available together and here we go... 10x acceleration
    Quote Quote  
  6. well i find it quite slow..compared to winavi.. (take in regard im a newby when it comes to video converting..so i dont know much about it..) but an 40 minute flv it converts in 5 hours..thats crazy..offcourse my laptop isnt fast..i got a netbook vaio..but winavi converts it in like 20 minutes..except the quality is much bettr in cyberlinks...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I instaled it, tryed it, uninstaled it.... overall 20 min of usage.
    Yes its faster, i have HD5750 with enabled AtiStream, and PhenomIIx4 945, but i dont like its (lack of)options, input/output format's and the quality of the encoded files.
    Quote Quote