VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys im trying to make a rare concert better but there seems to be 2 persons on the same video etc ill show you the pic so you can see what i mean. i tried my best with edge blurring etc and got rid of most but you guys here might have the solution.Click image for larger version

Name:	0000.png
Views:	313
Size:	306.6 KB
ID:	1826Click image for larger version

Name:	Comp_00000.png
Views:	305
Size:	397.5 KB
ID:	1825
    Quote Quote  
  2. With all those macroblock artifacts it's pretty hopeless. Even without them any halo removal will leave you with a blurry image.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    From the top image, it is easy to tell that your source was a VHS copy of a VHS copy of a VHS copy. This was the major shortcoming of analog -- it did not duplicate well. That halo effect is very typical of multi-generational dubbing, and as jagabo has pointed out, there is little that can be done at this point. You either live with the halo effect or blur the image to a blob.
    Quote Quote  
  4. you can manually work on each frame (e.g. in photoshop or after effects) with use of rotoscoping and masks to aid; at least you limit the "damage" to the reducing the halos or sections of the frame instead of blurring the whole image

MJ is great and all, but the quality of this footage sucks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe it's his ghost.
    Rock on, Michael. We miss you!
    There are no problems - only chances to excel.
    -- Unknown
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    you can manually work on each frame (e.g. in photoshop or after effects) with use of rotoscoping and masks to aid; at least you limit the "damage" to the reducing the halos or sections of the frame instead of blurring the whole image

MJ is great and all, but the quality of this footage sucks
    hi is there a way to auto detect edges and blur that area only while keeping detail on the rest of the image?
    manually will take forever, over 11,000 frames per song!!! lol
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by kopmjj View Post
    hi is there a way to auto detect edges and blur that area only while keeping detail on the rest of the image?
    manually will take forever, over 11,000 frames per song!!! lol
    Not as accurate as manually doing it; there's a lot more error. e.g. You might blur good parts and miss some halos.

Someone asked the same thing on this same footage over at doom9, you can read didee's reply there
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1399795#post1399795

You're talking about bluring with a mask to limit area of effect. I'm talking about replacing pixels in an area, not just blurring.

Honestly, the only way you will get decent results, without blurring the rest of the good parts is to "air brush" it
    A true MJ fan would do it manually
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What is it with these awful quality MJ videos turning up now? (There's another thread about another one here).

They must have been professionally recorded originally - someone somewhere must have a better copy.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 2Bdecided View Post
    What is it with these awful quality MJ videos turning up now? (There's another thread about another one here).

They must have been professionally recorded originally - someone somewhere must have a better copy.

Cheers,
    David.
    hope so but these are rare concerts not many had this version until few months back, and unfortunately this is the best quality for this concert. thats why im trying to make the best quality possible.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok i got rid of most of it, now how do i auto detect edges so i can add blur? either in photoshop, avisynth or other programs i dont mind, i know there must be a way to auto detect the edges, i dont mind if its not 100% accurate, but this will save me manually editing, heres the new improved b4 and after.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0000.png
Views:	274
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	1897Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.png
Views:	262
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	1896
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    anyone? i have searched google how to find edge automatic and then blur but got no real info, and someone here said its possible but not accurate, i have tried magic wand tool in photoshop but when i apply a script it doesnt always select where i want to, so is there any plugins or programs that finds the edges and selects so i can apply Gaussian blur? or any avisynth script?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Try an emboss filter. You can create an emboss filter in AviSynth by subtracting the frame from a copy of itself shifted left or right.

src=ImageSource("0000.png", start=0, end=23, fps=23.976).Crop(0,0,-2,-2)
    emboss=subtract(src,crop(src,2,0,-0,-0).AddBorders(0,0,2,0)).ConvertToYV12()

That will give you a grayscale image where flat areas are medium gray (128) and edges are either darker or lighter:

Name:	emboss2.png
Views:	571
Size:	334.2 KB
ID:	1908

So you'll have to follow up with an absolute value, abs(y-128). In the absence of abs() you could Merge() two ColorYUV() filters in AviSynth:

src=ImageSource("0000.png", start=0, end=23, fps=23.976).Crop(0,0,-2,-2)
    emboss=subtract(src,crop(src,2,0,-0,-0).AddBorders(0,0,2,0)).ConvertToYV12()

v1=ColorYUV(emboss, off_y=-128)
    v2=Invert(emboss).ColorYUV(off_y=-128)

Merge(v1,v2).ColorYUV(gain_y=1000)

Name:	mask2png.png
Views:	545
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1909

Then you'll probably want to blur that and use it as a mask. You can adjust the threshold of the mask by subtracting from it (ColorYUV(off_y=-32), for example) and/or adjust the strength by increasing the gain (ColorYUV(gain_y=1000) shown).

In the end, this probably won't help you much because the DeHalo() filter does something very similar internally.
    Last edited by jagabo; 20th May 2010 at 08:02.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi thank you for your reply can i do this with video in avisynth?
    like load source video, add your emboss settings, make that a mask, blur it then overlay on top of source video? can you show me an example script please thanks.

heres my example script it dont make any difference can you help im trying the above.

clip1=AVISource("C:\Users\king\Desktop\wbss.avi")
    clip2=AVISource("C:\Users\king\Desktop\wbss.avi")
    emboss=subtract(clip2,crop(clip2,2,0,-0,-0).AddBorders(0,0,2,0)).ConvertToYV12()

Blur(1.00)
    merge(clip1,clip2)

the blur bit is only a test i will apply Gaussian blur in final if this works.
    Last edited by kopmjj; 20th May 2010 at 12:05.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Did you look at that link I posted? The fellow working on the same source?

His approach is the same, but it's far from perfect, it misses halos and blurs some good parts, but it's definitely better than blurring the whole image
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWnT8a-0Mos

Ask him for his edge detection script. He probably used some masktools functions like edgemask

There are several other scripts in that thread you can try
    Quote Quote  
  15. Use BlindDehalo3() to create a well dehaloed version -- it will be blurry. You may find it works better if you shrink the width, dehalo, then expand it back to the original size. Then use the emboss/merge method to create a mask from the original image. Finally, use Overlay() to merge the dehaloed image over the original according to the mask: overlay(source, dehaloed, mask).
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Use BlindDehalo3() to create a well dehaloed version -- it will be blurry. You may find it works better if you shrink the width, dehalo, then expand it back to the original size. Then use the emboss/merge method to create a mask from the original image. Finally, use Overlay() to merge the dehaloed image over the original according to the mask: overlay(source, dehaloed, mask).
    thanks im gonna try that,but the thing is i cant do the mask thing it dont work on my script can you just quickly show the mask and overlay bit please?
    Quote Quote  
  17. I wouldn't bother trying to create your own dehalo script because someone has already done it. Try something two passes of BlindDehalo3(rx=4, ry=1, strength=200).
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use BlindDehalo3() to create a well dehaloed version -- it will be blurry. You may find it works better if you shrink the width, dehalo, then expand it back to the original size. Then use the emboss/merge method to create a mask from the original image. Finally, use Overlay() to merge the dehaloed image over the original according to the mask: overlay(source, dehaloed, mask).
    ahhh this is frustrating cant get this script to work please im trying to what you told me ,im trying to overlay the source, dehaloed, mask like you said but this doesnt work? just one example would help me, this is the 1st time im ever using mask so im confused how to do it. below is the script that has errors invalid argument to convertoyv12.

HTML Code:
    clip1 = AVISource("C:\Users\king\Desktop\wbss.avi")
    clip2 = AVISource("C:\Users\king\Desktop\wbss.avi")
    ConvertToYV12()
    Lanczos4Resize(352,240)
    Import("I:\plugins 2\BlindDeHalo3.avs")

BlindDehalo3(rx=4, ry=1, strength=200)

Lanczos4Resize(720,480)

emboss=subtract(crop(2,0,-0,-0).AddBorders(0,0,2,0)).ConvertToYV12()

dehalo_alpha()

Overlay(clip1, clip2, mode="blend", opacity=0.5)
    Quote Quote  
  19. Your script make no sense. I suggest you simply do this:
    AVISource("C:\Users\king\Desktop\wbss.avi")
    If you really to try building your own mask you could try something like the following. But it will take a lot of fine tuning and you probably won't be able to do any better than the above script.

The first thing you should know is that when you open a file without naming it, or run a filter without an explicit named video you get a default video called "last". For example:

ConvertToYV12()
    is the same as:
    last=AVISource("C:\Users\king\Desktop\wbss.avi")
    last=ConvertToYV12(last)
    return(last)
    The basic structure:

source = AVISource("C:\Users\king\Desktop\wbss.avi").Conver tToYV12()

dehalo = BlindDehalo3(source, rx=5, ry=1, strength=200).BlindDehalo3(rx=5, ry=1, strength=200)

emboss=subtract(source, crop(source,2,0,-0,-0).AddBorders(0,0,2,0))
    mask=Merge(v1,v2).ColorYUV(gain_y=4000).Blur(1,0). Crop(0,0,-2,-0).AddBorders(2,0,0,0)

masked=Overlay(source, dehalo, 0, 0, mask)

Interleave(\
    Subtitle(source,"source"),\
    Subtitle(dehalo,"dehalo"),\
    Subtitle(mask, "mask"),\
    Subtitle(masked, "masked"))
    That's a starting point. You will have to fiddle around a lot with the mask to get it properly aligned, smoothed, and the right intensity.
    Last edited by jagabo; 20th May 2010 at 20:12.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your script make no sense. I suggest you simply do this:
    If you really to try building your own mask you could try something like the following. But it will take a lot of fine tuning and you probably won't be able to do any better than the above script.

The first thing you should know is that when you open a file without naming it, or run a filter without an explicit named video you get a default video called "last". For example:

ConvertToYV12()
    is the same as:
    last=AVISource("C:\Users\king\Desktop\wbss.avi")
    last=ConvertToYV12(last)
    return(last)
    The basic structure:

source = AVISource("C:\Users\king\Desktop\wbss.avi").Conver tToYV12()

dehalo = BlindDehalo3(source, rx=5, ry=1, strength=200).BlindDehalo3(rx=5, ry=1, strength=200)

emboss=subtract(source, crop(source,2,0,-0,-0).AddBorders(0,0,2,0))
    mask=Merge(v1,v2).ColorYUV(gain_y=4000).Blur(1,0). Crop(0,0,-2,-0).AddBorders(2,0,0,0)

masked=Overlay(source, dehalo, 0, 0, mask)

Interleave(\
    Subtitle(mask, "mask"),\
    That's a starting point. You will have to fiddle around a lot with the mask to get it properly aligned, smoothed, and the right intensity.
    Thank you very much man just 1 last question the end starting point script you gave me has some funny playback? when i preview it its a mix between source video and suddenly its playing mask video with all the white lines, how do i get final output of the video ?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by kopmjj View Post
    Thank you very much man just 1 last question the end starting point script you gave me has some funny playback? when i preview it its a mix between source video and suddenly its playing mask video with all the white lines, how do i get final output of the video ?
    I interleaved the intermediate frames so you could flip back and forth between them in an editor. To see just the final result change:

Interleave(\
    Subtitle(mask, "mask"),\
    to just
    return(masked)
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you man, you are the man and very helpful wish there was more like you:P
    anyway just to update i used your blindehalo3 settings and tweaked it and added see saw and changed levels etc, added grain and its looking quite good thanks to you, heres a comaprison. any suggestions in improving even more or what sharpen is better for this situation, i like see saw but maybe limited sharpen faster? i need something that brings out as much detail as possible.

Name:	Image1.png
Views:	306
Size:	367.1 KB
ID:	1921Click image for larger version

Name:	Image2.png
Views:	279
Size:	375.3 KB
ID:	1920
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Did you look at that link I posted? The fellow working on the same source?

His approach is the same, but it's far from perfect, it misses halos and blurs some good parts, but it's definitely better than blurring the whole image
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWnT8a-0Mos

Ask him for his edge detection script. He probably used some masktools functions like edgemask
    Ya, as you say, it's far from perfect. It was a work in progress... And I processed the two interlaced fields separately but I used the masks of the top fields for the bottom fields on this version... so some halos that should be removed aren't.

I didn't use mask tool functions for the detection. I wrote my own program from scratch. Kopmjj was working with me on this concert but I didn't hear about this thread... it would have been helpful and would have saved me a lot of time. It also gives some great ideas to enhance things even more...
    Quote Quote