VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!

I have a live-DVD with an artist singin. Anyway I'd like to rip all the tracks and then burn them to a CD-R so I can play them in my CD-player as well!

So what I need is to make MP3's out of each track from the DVD. How can I do this EASY and FAST?

I have a Macintosh G4 350MHz 120MB ram with Mac OS 10.1.5 & 9.2.2...

cheers
    /CHEETAH - amicheetah@hotmail.com
    Quote Quote  
  2. You need to decrypt the DVD onto your HDD (e.g., Smartripper).

Then convert the audio from AC3 (Dolby Digital) to WAV (uncompressed PCM at 44.1 kHz, stereo, 16-bit). There are multiple ways to do this ( http://www.doom9.org ).

However, I don't know how to do it under MacOS so I'm going to move this thread to the Mac forum.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Plain and simple. Under OS 9 use yade or DVDExtractor to rip the disk. Take the .ac3 file that was created and use mAC3dec to produce .mp3 files. Then burn as you normally would.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thx!

jade seems to work... DVDExtractor can't make ac3... at least I dont understand how to make an ac3 from it! It can make vob but i cant make ac3! hehe
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    With DVD Extractor make sure that Demux streams is check and that a check is noext to Private. Then simply click-and-drag the track you want to a folder.
    Quote Quote  
  6. ive got a little program that lets u rip sound from a dvd in ur dvd rom drive in to mp3 if u want it its a free prog but cant member the name of it email me @ roboughton@hotmail.com and i will dig it out its only a small prog so i could send u it over the net or post it 2 u its excerlent for ripping the sound i used it on shaft to get some good lines that he says
    Quote Quote  
  7. i found the program its called dvd to mp3 and its a trial program sorry but it does rip the sound very good i dont think it costs much 2 buy
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tgpo
    With DVD Extractor make sure that Demux streams is check and that a check is noext to Private. Then simply click-and-drag the track you want to a folder.
    Nah that doesn't work! It makes .pcm files then! Not .ac3!!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Try my new GUI ffmpegX to the ffmpeg encoder.

http://forum.vcdhelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=99963

Use an extractor to decrypt the VOB file from the DVD and copy it to your hard-disk. Then launch ffmpegX, open the VOB, uncheck "encode video" so as to have only audio in the output, use MP3 encoder, GO!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hang on there; if it makes PCM then you're half way there. DVDs can contain AC3 audio or PCM audio (like on a CD). So just feed the PCM files into your favorite encoder (iTunes, SoundJam).

AC3 is a compressed format that also allows for more than two channels. PCM is just like a CD.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jchansen
    Hang on there; if it makes PCM then you're half way there. DVDs can contain AC3 audio or PCM audio (like on a CD). So just feed the PCM files into your favorite encoder (iTunes, SoundJam).

AC3 is a compressed format that also allows for more than two channels. PCM is just like a CD.
    iTunes wont open it. Quicktime says: "Couldn't open the file "Track.pcm" because the end of file was reached prematurely"!!! ( Why!?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Theres an OS 9 app called SoundApp (I think, I'm not home) that makes PCM output from OS 9 rippers into valid AIFF files which can then be compressed to MP3, AC3, etc etc.
    Quote Quote