VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am looking for a (possibly freeware?) program that will rip my dvd's onto my hardrive in a single hq file. I already have AnyDVD for decrypting, I just need a reliable ripper. I want each file to be 700mb to 2 gb in size with ac3 audio. The problem with all the ripping programs I've tried is that they seperate the movie into about 100 different files, I just want a single file with the entire movie on it. I understand that I will probably be sacrificing quality, but I'm not looking for blu-ray quality, just a good quality that will be watchable on a big screen. If you can recommend some good ripping programs for this that would be great.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Honestly, anything you do will produce quality lower than the DVD you already have.

That said, if you must convert the files, what will you be playing them back with ?

For Divx/Xvid players, AutoGK is one of the simplest and most reliable tools. Rip the movie only to your HDD, load the IFO into AutoGK then let it go. For big screen viewing keep the width at 720 and aim for a file size close to 2 GB. Keep the 700MB file size for 1 hour long TV episodes. You won't get DVD quality, but it will be watchable in most cases.

If you have something smarter to play back with, use the same file sizes, but encode to H264 in the MP4 container with Fair Use Wizard. Slow going, but the quality will be higher.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First of all, thanks for the quick answer.

Forgive me for the foolishness, but I didn't understand this

"Rip the movie only to your HDD, load the IFO into AutoGK..."

Do I need any different types of software for ripping it to my hdd? Can I load the IFO straight from the DVD?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by videodirector
    Do I need any different types of software for ripping it to my hdd? Can I load the IFO straight from the DVD?
    Once you have decrypted the movie to the hard drive, yes. Or just load the first VOB and the rest will get loaded automatically. Except you can't extract subtitles doing it that way, if subtitles are important to you.

When using AutoGK, if for 1400MB, it will automatically split the AVI it makes. So, if you don't want it split make it for a different size (1399 MB, for example)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you have anyDVD then you can go straight from the DVD, however I find autoGK works best if the structure has only the title you want to encode in it. Again, as you have AnyDVD, you could use DVD Shrink in re-author mode to make a movie only rip to your HDD. Look at the DVD Shrink page in the Tools section for guides.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. May I add avi.net?
    আমি বাংলায় গান গাই
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The issue is that I want the dvd to transfer into one file, but each program is rendering it into audio_ts and video_ts folders. What am I supposed to do to get the dvd straight into one large file, or do I need to get a converting program or something?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What you are doing is ripping the DVD content to your HDD. That is step one. Step two is to convert it to a different format. AutoGK or AVI.net will convert it to Xvid or Divx in an AVI container.

You could try FairUseWizard as well. With AnyDVD is may be able to convert directly from the DVD.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by videodirector
    The issue is that I want the dvd to transfer into one file, but each program is rendering it into audio_ts and video_ts folders. What am I supposed to do to get the dvd straight into one large file, or do I need to get a converting program or something?
    the program which exactly suites your requirement is pgc.NET. With this you will get a large .vob file and the corresponding IFO file.
    আমি বাংলায় গান গাই
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use DVDShrink, in Edit->'Preferences->Output Files-> and uncheck ' Split VOB files into 1GB size chunks(recommended)...You'll get your one large VOB file..
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by src2206
    the program which exactly suites your requirement is pgc.NET. With this you will get a large .vob file and the corresponding IFO file.
    Good advice.

Or also http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/video/edit-dvd-recorder.htm
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote