VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please help me to find a Recovery Software for recovery of my corrupted MPEG2-ts (Transport Stream) files.

I have a satellite receiver that I can connect a Hard Disk Drive to it and record my favorite TV programs. The HDD has to be in FAT32 Format. I had almost 200GB recorded .ts files on the HDD. Now most of my TV programs and movies that I recorded are corrupted (have strange character names & not playable). I cannot change name of the corrupted files either.

The cause was periodical power disconnection of the HDD (lose power connection), but the problem is now resolved and I checked the HDD for bad sectors, and it is in good health and error free.

Now I want to recover the corrupted files, but I cannot find appropriate software to do that. I have tried several famous Recovery software (including FindData), but they do not work for recovery of .ts files. As I understood, ts files are a kind of MPEG2 format (Transport Stream), but even the FindData recovery software which claims can recover MPEG2 files, cannot work with the ts files.

If you have any experience regarding this problem, I greatly appreciate receiving you help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a hard time reading large fonts.

I have to literally scoot the chair 2-3 feet from my desk, or I get a headache from the glare of a large font.

Standard hard drive recovery software might help, maybe? Not had this exact problem.
    I wish you luck.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    This sounds like yet another setup for a future post advertising another software.
    Anyone want to bet on it....again?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not this one hech, this is a pretty common problem among the PVR crowd. We just don't many of them here at VH.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    VideoReDo has an MPEG Stream Fixer option. Maybe it would work. You can try it for a few weeks before you have to buy it, so it costs nothing to see if it works for you.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54
    This sounds like yet another setup for a future post advertising another software.
    Anyone want to bet on it....again?
    This is a real problem for 200GB of my favorite recorded programs!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    VideoReDo has an MPEG Stream Fixer option. Maybe it would work. You can try it for a few weeks before you have to buy it, so it costs nothing to see if it works for you.
    I have already tested and tried VideoReDo too, but it does not work! It can not open the corrupted files to fix it!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    I have a hard time reading large fonts.

I have to literally scoot the chair 2-3 feet from my desk, or I get a headache from the glare of a large font.

Standard hard drive recovery software might help, maybe? Not had this exact problem.
    I wish you luck.
    Thanks for your reply and sorry for the font size; I have already changed it to a smaller font size!

Up to now, I have tried 3 of the best recognized recovery software (and few others as well):

Review: http://data-recovery-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

-Recover My Files 3.98
    -Data Recovery Wizard 4
    -FindData Enterprise 2

The only software that could find the corrupted .ts files was FindData, but the recovered data files are not playable. This software claims that can recover MPEG2 and has a specialized option for MPEG2 recovery, but this option is not active for the .ts files (it does not recognize the .ts files as MPEG2). Up to now I have spent one week without any result.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Not this one hech, this is a pretty common problem among the PVR crowd. We just don't many of them here at VH.
    We'll watch both of these threads and see what happens:
    http://www.ftabins.net/showthread.php?p=496053
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ParetoLogic Data Recovery Pro

Don't specify the file type, just let the program scan the drive for all files.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rhegedus

Thanks Rob for your comment. I just reviewed online help of the ParetoLogic Data Recovery Pro, but I did not see anything about possibility of recovering MPEG2 or .ts files. Have you tried this software before for recovering any MPEG2-ts file?

If it has a trial period, I am going to test is anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    This is more of a computer question, moving to our Computer Forum.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54
    We'll watch both of these threads and see what happens:
    http://www.ftabins.net/showthread.php?p=496053
    hech54: For your information, the above link that you mentioned is only one of them; I have posted similar threads on two other forums too. It is because I am desperately looking for a way to recover my data. I do not care about losing some recorded movies, but for almost two years, I have recorded a series of scientific-medical TV programs (not in English language) which cannot be found or purchased anywhere. I cannot afford to pay for recovery of my HDD too. I hope you understand it. If I can find any solution, I will post the results on all the four threads, so maybe someone with a similar problem can get a benefit. I hope I am clear now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Moon43
    Originally Posted by rhegedus

Thanks Rob for your comment. I just reviewed online help of the ParetoLogic Data Recovery Pro, but I did not see anything about possibility of recovering MPEG2 or .ts files. Have you tried this software before for recovering any MPEG2-ts file?

If it has a trial period, I am going to test is anyway.
    Yeah, I recovered about 500Gb of m2ts and EVO files from a drive that had been formatted.

However, if you can see your files in explorer then I don't think file recovery programs as such will help. Your files are probably corrupted - I'd go down the video demuxer route to see what you can salvage.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote