VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,
    I am running Windows XP and have already upgraded to a 250GB drive some time ago in addition to two external hard drives. I added the ATA card when I added the 250GB drive. Will the 1TB be a straight swap or do I need to upgrade anything else? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if your comp can address the the full 250 it will also be able to use the 1tb. it just requires xp with >sp1.

you may be able to use both if the ata card came with a 2 drive cable. make one master and one slave.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Assuming a SATA drive and spare SATA socket, just plug it in, partition and format.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    one would hope the drive is ata since he mentions adding the "ata" card.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know of any PATA(IDE) 1000GB(1TB) HDDs, so I assumed SATA. Both are 'ATA'.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks as always, gentlemen. I know I needed to add the card when I added the 250GB and 'upgrade' to SP1. So I'm good to go?
    Quote Quote  
  7. I usually go with Seagate. What do you guys think about this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148274
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are bound to be better specials but it looks good...good 5 year warranty...good dealer...good price...good shipping...good performance with the jumper removed...if seagate's your thing, go for it
    Be the first on your block with a Terabyte drive
    It's this mentality that manipulates the masses.
    If someone had said gamers would spend hundreds if not thousands of $ playing games 20 years ago, they'd have been locked up
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    problem with terabyte is that when your wife looks at the stuff on it and throws it out the window you are SOL....

I use two 500 GB
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thanks, zoobie.

Ron, I keep that stuff on my site where she can't get to it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. If somebody would like to chime in I have another question.

Do I need to upgrade the card for the new hard drive or am I OK with the one I currently have? I'm not sure of the specs but I got it a few years back to add the 250GB.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Probably not. The older adapter card may be a SATA 150 card, but it would still be compatible with a SATA 300 drive. I doubt you would notice any obvious speed increase with a SATA 300 adapter.

Other than that, plug it in and see what happens. You will need to format and partition it, but the OS can do that.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Thank you for taking the time out to answer my questions, I appreciate it.
    Quote Quote