VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I know someone with a DivX player but no USB port on it and they asked me to put a AVI onto disk for them.

If I put the file onto DVD-R for them it would be a waste of a disk because it would hardly use up space on it.
    Is it possible to burn it to DVD-RW so that I can then format it afterwards and re use it for the same purpose without loss of quality for the second time, third time etc?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, of course it is possible. But have you considered putting the avi file on a CD instead of a DVD? Divx /xvid avi files are placed as data on the disc, so a CD would work fine if the video is less than 700mb.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Never really thought about using a CD, might consider it cheers.

So about re-using the disk, will there be loss of quality after the first time?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    No, there's no loss of quality, but my experience is that re-writable DVDs don't last anywhere near as long as they are claimed to. I've seen some seem to fail after only one burn. That's a worst case scenario for sure and it doesn't happen a lot, but it has happened.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I might just try it and find out, I fear skipping/freezing after re-using it

cheers
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Nah!!

I have some dvd+rw's i have reused a good 100 times so far for watching Xvid's, dvd video, ect. on and they still work fine.

Of course if you don't take care of them like any dvdr, like scratches, they will start acting up.

And then there is the issue that "some" players might just not like RW media.

Originally Posted by Tbag
    Is it possible to burn it to DVD-RW so that I can then format it afterwards
    And you DO not need to reformat them to record on them again.
    Usually your burning program will just say everything on the disc will be written over or erased and you just hit go.

Reformatting any disc over and over can cause them to fail prematurely.

Originally Posted by Tbag
    and re use it for the same purpose without loss of quality for the second time, third time etc?
    It's digital media, not VHS tape 8)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Im gonna use Sony +RW, I think I might have some TDK +/-RW about somewhere and they will be taken care of in a jewel case.

I guess i'll find out if there player reads it ok.

thanks
    Quote Quote