VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    is there a decent dvd player that will play .avi files without needing conversion? i will spend the $800 for it if it means i dont have to spend 5 hours converting and burning a freakin jerry springer show for my friends =p

sorry if theres a thread on this already

and thank you so much for any input!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    There are a lot of dvd player's that will play Divx/xvid avi files burned to cdr & dvdr.
    Just look around they're not hard to find.

Not sure what's up there but down here you can get them pretty much anywhere that they sell dvd players, electronics retailer, bestbuy, abc warehouse has one for around $50.00.

And 5 hours converting
    What are you using ? A 75mhz with 32mb of ram :P

ConvertXtoDvd
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    <<<--- DVD Players, file type divx/xvid, search. Done.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    lol 37 actually, its not my computer
    i was using avi2dvd
    so... divx/xvid is .avi... or in it or something. i kind of understand, have to read more i guess, must have just not read the right guide so far. is n00b stamped on me yet? =p
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. The guy who started this forum is quite correct -- after market consumers should not care if AVI is a container or what it contains. We need a player that supports a wide range of current codecs without scratching our heads over which ones or trolling through this sort of forum for hours.

Originally Posted by kush
    <<<--- DVD Players, file type divx/xvid, search. Done.
    Actually its not NEARLY as easy as this. After almost 2 hours searching and carefully reading these forums I'm still a bit stuck. And although I have limited experience with video encoding, I get the general concepts and am not a noob and it's still a PIA to select a player. So, I too would like some good advice.

My requirements are:

1. want to be able to play as many video / audio formats as possible, expecially: fast and flawless divx AND XVID and hopefully other MPEG4 AVI formats as well flexible audio codec formats too including AAC, AC3, MP3 (VBR/CBR), etc. I've learned that the MediaTech chip set is the one to go for, so it would be nice if it had that.

2. need flexible and problem-free subtitles including .SRT, .SUB

3. needs coax video output because I have an old tv but hopefully also some more current connetions in case i later upgrade.

4. has to be region free or have an easy hack

5. should play PAL and NTSC

6. it would be nice if it had a USB 2.0 connection to hook up a flash drive at a decent speed (but not absolutely required).

seems like simple requirements. I have a Philips DVP 642 now, but it is useless for .SRT, doesn't play .SUB, and completely unpredictable with XVID. Other threads have mentioned GMC problems etc.

The best option in terms of specs seems to be: RJTech's RJ-1800DVX. It has everything I want (including listing GMC in specs), plus as a bonus is also 110-120 V and "multiregion" (i assume that means region-free) out of the box. However it seems it is using Sunplus rather than Mediatek chipset (and doesnt support QPEL)

http://www.rjtech.net/desc_RJ-1800DVX.htm

The model 800DVX is Mediatek and handles BOTH GMC & QPEL but has no USB:

http://forum.ncix.com/forums/index.php?mode=showthread&msg_id=892488&threadid=892488&f...id=0#msg892488

But everyone here says RJ Tech models are crap and break:

https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=273873&highlight=rjtech

However some positive comments:

https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=279873&highlight=rjtech

(however, there is nothing in this forum about the 1800 model and those posts are about earlier models)

The OPPO line doesn't seem to be possible because it doesn't have a coax video output. (Really, my tv is hooked up with an RF modulator and audio goes out to a component stereo system):

http://www.oppodigital.com/dv981hd/index.html

The Pioneer 490S it seems I'd have to buy pre-region free for more money, which is ok I guess, but it is also limited in that it has no USB support. I also can't find very convincing specs that it will play all the formats (especially the subtitles) that I'm after:

http://www.220-electronics.com/dvd/pioneer490.htm

https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=304296&highlight=dv970hd

I'm hessitant about the whole Philips line because of my bad experiences with the DVP642 and their tech support being clueless about subtitle files:

https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=235493&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

I suppose the Philips 5960 is an option but for the problems above, and also the fact that the USB is 1.1 ! (how useless is that for video?)

I did the following search, and came up with 32 players, but mostly by manufacturers I've never heard of:

https://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers?DVDname=&cdr=1&dvdr=1&Search=Search&vcd=1&svcd=1&d...Submit2=Search

Any pointers appreciated, including from those who have this new RJ-Tech model.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    RJ Tech just came out with 2 new DVD players: RJ900 (USB) and RJ 1900(USB+card reader) . Both play PAL/NTSC/multiregion and have no problems with subtitles. Check out http://www.multiregiondvdplayers.net/
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cx420ns
    is there a decent dvd player that will play .avi files without needing conversion? i will spend the $800 for it if it !
    LOL@$800 how bout i sell you mine for that price ,i won't mind having to go buy a new one,kiddin walmart man $50 as someone posted above
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redrocklobster
    The guy who started this forum is quite correct -- after market consumers should not care if AVI is a container or what it contains. We need a player that supports a wide range of current codecs without scratching our heads over which ones or trolling through this sort of forum for hours.
    The only thing that really works 100% of the time is a PC. Any standalone player may (or may not) have problems with any of the following things in AVI/Divx/Xvid.
    1) GMC (Global Motion Compensation). Even the few devices that claim to support really only support 1 warp point. Tests have shown that the players that claim to support 3 warp points actually will not play the files. Generally it's best to avoid this as a result.
    2) QPel (Quarter Pixel)
    3) Packed bitstream. MPEG4Modifier can remove this without re-encoding.
    4) Video bit rates higher than 2000 Kbps can be a problem on some players.
    5) Use of AC3, PCM, or DTS audio can be a problem unless the video bit rate is 1400 Kbps or less. CBR MP3 is generally OK with higher video bitrates. VBR MP3 may have sync issues in playback with any video bitrate.
    6) Large files (greater than 2 GB) may not playback due to use of FAT32 file system.
    7) Use of custom quantization matrix (very rare, but it happens) may also be a problem.

For best results, files that avoid all of these things will almost certainly play back. Do note, however, that AVI containers allow a variety of audio formats and use of exotic audio formats such as AAC and OggVorbis are rarely supported on DVD players.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you need to convert or reencode, try AutoGK. It has a setting to create "standalone compliant" files.

Aside from that, you won't find a player that supports ALL avi files. There are just too many encoding options. For best results get a Divx or Divx Pro certified DVD player. But you will still need to "fix" some files.

Note that most of the files created for TV use (ie: TV shows) will play fine on most Divx players. It's all of the misc avi files that people collect on their PC's (and meant for PC use) that cause most of the playback problems. So if you want to view all the crap you download to your PC, you need to expect to spend some time to make it work.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am waiting to check out one of these:::

http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/

I especially want an easy player that would also play MkV files...

I'll let you know how it works when I get it! 8)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My two cents - I recently bought a Toshiba TV/DVD/VCR combo unit which claims to support Divx-encoded avi natively. Well, not only does it play Divx avi's, it plays Xvid as well, & flawlessly...plays VCD/SVCD perfectly too. I am very happy with my purchase.
    Stiiv
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just thought I might add, I have downloaded various "videos" from the internet and burned them to disc to save hard drive space. Out of curiosity, I put one in my PS3 to see what would happen and it plays them all flawlessly.Even the ones that are in folders or in folders that are in folders. Plays blue ray disc and rock band too as a plus! PS3 also has wireless networking to pull video, audio (for those with nice surround theater systems), and pictures from your puter. Networking, however, is more work than I like to mess with so, no idea on watching avi straight from the puter, but I don't see why it wouldn't. My opinion, you can't beat the price for the capabilities. Price I believe is still $400-$600, but I don't think the cheaper ones have wireless and have a smaller hard drive(40GB). Compare b4 u buy. Too expensive to buy a second one for my bedroom though.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought a Philips 3960 from Walmarts for $40. The model numbers change a bit, but try one that with 39, like a Philips 3962
    I love mine, I can get an entire tv season on a DVD and toggle thru them
    Hope this helps
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    shadowolph - Welcome to the forums, but we generally discourage people from digging up old threads from months ago and adding to them. The original poster last posted to any forum here on March 19, 2007 with his 2nd post in this thread. We appreciate you trying to be helpful, but basically the people who cared have long since stopped looking at this thread and the original poster hasn't logged in since March 29 of last year. This is why we discourage people from doing what you did - it's just a waste of time in most cases to add to old threads. I'd advise as a general rule that if there hasn't been a post in a thread in more than 2 months, unless what you have to say is really and truly critical it's probably best to just let it alone. I am not trying to condemn you but to help you to become a better forum member as I'm sure you don't know that we discourage posting to old threads.
    Quote Quote