VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think I know the answer to this, but I wanted to double check before I started making a ton of footage in 16:9. I currently have a standard 4:3 TV, and my new cam has a HDD with option to record in Wide or Standard. If I record everything in 16:9, transfer it to a DVD, and play it on my TV, will it have the black bars like a store bought DVD? My guess is yes and has nothing to do with the actual footage but what kind of DVD player I'm using. All movie DVD's I own are widescreen and when I play them on my player they have the black bars. Am I correct on this before I start recording everything in 16:9?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    16:9 and 4:3 DVD compliant MPEG both use the same resolution of 720x480, here's a full frame. Note the people are tall and skinny and the miller lit signs that are circles have an oval shape:

You author this as a 16:9 DVD, assuming your player is set correctly it will read the 16:9 flag on the DVD and it will letterbox it to maintain the aspect. The black bars are added by the plyer, they are not part of the video file.

Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you author the DVD correctly, and the TV and DVD player are set up properly, the footage will be displayed properly:

A 16:9 DVD will fill a 16:9 TV and will be letterboxed (black bars on top and bottom) on a 4:3 TV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    16:9 material flagged as 16:9 normally will play letterbox same as a commercial 16:9 DVD. A 2.35:1 aspect movie DVD has additional letterbox bars encoded into the video.

If you don't flag the 16:9 material as wide during encoding, the 720x480 squeezed image shown above will be horizontally squeezed further into 4:3 aspect 640x480.

This graphic explaination tells all.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK so I'm very new at the Widescreen stuff, so sorry if I sound stupid. I get the idea but you guys talk of authoring the footage in Widescreen. I use Nero Vision to make my DVDs. So, what do I need to do to take Widescreen footage, put it on DVD, and make it play properly on a 4:3 standard TV with the black bars on top and bottom? Is there some option I need to enable before starting the whole encoding process before burning of the DVD?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by syberkill
    I use Nero Vision to make my DVDs.
    Don't use that so I don't know however it will either read the flag in the header of your source video and do it automagically for you or there will be a setting to specify it or it doesn't support setting the 16:9 flag and defaults to 4:3 and you'll have to get something else. Best th8ng to do is get a RW disc and burn a couple of test discs to make sure everything is working out so you can work out any kinks before spending the time on a full project.

Note that cheaper programs like that in the past usually lacked this feature and I don't know if that has changed, you may want to consider getting a dedicated application from a regular video company. Ulead Video Studio is a good starter program.
    Quote Quote