VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Problem! DV capture file using Roxio 8, Ahead Nero 7ultra or Windows Media Center max compression is for file size is 4.5gb and that is only 1 hour on the DVD. If I reduce the image quality it gets very pixeled.

I need to know if there is way to get more hours on a single layer DVD without degrading the vid quality. Is there GUIDE that explains the step from Cature to encoding to burning? If so please point me in the right direction if possible.

current set on windows media center (XP version)
    NTCS best quality, full Display

When I capture to less quality, even a minor drop, the video quality goes to hell in a hand basket.

How in the world does the media industry get a 3 hour movie on a DVD?

Thanks very much.
    I have spent over $300 in software, I hope I have the right ones in Roxio 8 & Nero7 Ultra with all the Pluggins.

2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    DV isn't normally 'captured', it's just transferred over a FireWire connection, similar to transferring a file between hard drive, just a lot slower.

DV is about 13GB per hour of video. To reduce the size, just re-encode it. The guides to the left for 'CONVERT' cover that. I am assuming you want to put it on a DVD after editing? At the best quality you can get about 1 hour on a 4.GB DVD disc. If you want more, lower the bitrate.

What you might look at is a bitrate calculator. That will tell you the bitrate required for the running time of your video to fit your media size. The Video Help Bitrate calculator is easy to use.

Very generally, you want a bitrate between 6000 - 9000Kbps for good quality. If your bitrate calculator shows a bitrate down below those numbers, you might want to consider 1/2 DI format. That is described in 'WHAT IS' DVD to the upper left on this page. If your encoder doesn't allow you to set bitrate, get another encoder.

DV can be difficult to encode. Any camera shake will need more bitrate to encode properly. A commercial DVD starts with very high quality video to encode with. With that they can afford to compress the video more that you can with your average source video, and they can still end up with high quality. They also use a dual layer disk, so they have close to 9GB available to use.

It just takes some experimenting with your software to find the best combination. I would make up about a 5-10 minute representative clip from your DV video and try some different settings. You should be able to get 2 hours on a DVD from a DV source and still have decent quality.

3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    frankguru2, Please don't double post. Please read our rules before posting.
    Continue in: https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=1676832#1676832

Moderator redwudz