VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    I'll lay my cards on the table, I'm new to Linux but am very impressed with the repository system it in all areas except Capture Applications. I have an old ATI All-In-Wonder 128Pro and a Plextor M402U USB 2 device in the system I run Linux on, I don't have high hopes for the ATI card because I've read lots of articles on driver support and it doesn't look real promising. There are drivers for the Plextor but I'm very new to commandline and seem to be having trouble getting the downloaded driver file to even show up in the terminal. Is there a particular folder that .tar files need to be downloaded to in MEPIS?? I have created a download folder on my desktop and when I type the path to it in the terminal it tells me that the file or directory cannot be found. I have checked the pathname several times and am sure it is correct. The machine is Dual booting XP so I could capture with XP, but I'd like to learn as much as possible about Applications in Linux. I have searched forums and read compiling tutorials but all of them seem to start with the file already in the terminal, or specifying the path usr/local/src which doesn't exist on my machine, I am willing to learn but need a hint where to get started. Charity is welcome!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I assume you downloaded it in Firefox? If so, it usually puts all downloads in your home/desktop. If you typed the pathname into the terminal and it says the directory doesn't exist, then you typed the name wrong. Remember, everything in linux is case sensitive. So, if you configured your login id as GMaq, then trying "cd /home/gmaq" would result in it not being found.

You could always try whereis or locate

locate <filename>
    whereis <filename>

Let's find the file first, then worry about the rest.

Hint, in MEPIS, you can right-click on the file and select "extract here" to extract the files in the current directory.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ahh Yes Tekkieman!
    How are you? Thought you might pick up the ball on this one... I'll try locating the file with the locate method you suggested. If I use "ark" to unzip and extract it to a new folder do I need to run the cd command or is it essentially the same thing? I won't have time for a couple of days to try it, but I'll let you know if I'm still stuck. Thanks for the reply.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Back Again,
    I did manage to get the driver loaded, but like gll99 (in another thread) I have no idea what to use for software, after a couple of failed attempts with Myth TV, XDTv, Freevo etc. I've determined that in my case running Dual Boot with at least 12 (no exaggeration) perfectly good capture apps in XP it would be absolute lunacy to continue flogging a dead horse in MEPIS (my wife would agree heartily). It's got lots of other goodies for everything else I want to do. You were absolutely right to forewarn us about "dependency hell" Tekkieman!! There are no free lunches in life even with Linux, obviously the capture options have not been fully realized (yet) and the repositories reflect that (for now). Still with my first lame and awkward attempt at compiling a driver behind me I'm still looking forward to more "awkward lameness" after all getting there is half the fun!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is an app I use called streamer # works wonders

streamer -n ntsc -t 10:00 -s 480x480 -r 29.970 -o stream.avi -f mjpeg -j 96 -F stereo

Look on sourceforge might be part of mjpegtools or xawtv
    "The software said Win XP or better, so I Installed Linux"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    lpn1160,
    Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.
    Quote Quote