VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just realized that my HD DVR has firewire 1394 output and my Audigy sound card has a 1394 input. It sounds like I'm in business. I hate to sound ignorant, but if I connect my HD DVR to my sound card using a 1394 cable, if the source is in 5.1, will the sound file I create be in 5.1? Is there any specific software I have to use to record the file? Will it be a WAV file? Can I attach the audio file to my video in another software (Ulead Video Studio) "as is" and it remain in 5.1?

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If it is transfered as DV then I don't believe you can get 5.1. I believe DV is 2 channel PCM only. The DVR will downmix on the way out, and you will get a standard definition video with 2 channel audio.

However the best way to confirm this would be to read your manual. Scary thought, but often all the information you need is hidden amongst the words on the pages.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by guns1inger
    If it is transfered as DV then I don't believe you can get 5.1. I believe DV is 2 channel PCM only. The DVR will downmix on the way out, and you will get a standard definition video with 2 channel audio.

However the best way to confirm this would be to read your manual. Scary thought, but often all the information you need is hidden amongst the words on the pages.
    DV supports a four channel mode, too, and can be designated as four independent mono tracks, two stereo pairs and a variety of surround-type (though not 5.1 unless 5.1 can be encoded into 4 tracks).

However, most likely, the Firewire output from the DVR will be MPEG2-TS.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote