VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello guys
    I bought aToshiba D-KR2 DVD recorder about a year ago, and it has worked pretty well. I haven't used it a lot, but it performed a good percentage of successful recordings (I'd say 75-80%), both from cable TV and VHS.
    Lately, though, it looks like it only records on rewritable DVDs. Any time I try with a DVD-R, whether I program the recording or I do it manually, the recording stops after 1-2 minutes, and I get a "Recording failed - DVD might be dirty" message. I tried with several brands, to no avail.
    Any help/suggestions?
    Thanks a lot
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I too am getting the same problem. Since it's no longer under warranty, I took out the DVD recorder unit (it's a PC-type unit) and connected a spare NEC 7170. I was able to successfully record a TV program, but when I tried to finalize it, it wouldn't budge. If anyone out there can provide any help resolving this, we'd surely appreciate it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You need the LG GSA-H10N DVD burner. I have one installed in a KR2 and all functions work as they should. Do a search. An online retailer has them for $29.99.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the tip. How easy (or how hard) is it to replace the burner? Is it something that I could do on my own? And if yes, how? Consider that my level of expertise is, I would say, medium-low. But I guess you already figured that out, given the nature of my questions...
    Anyway, thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't know what happened, but I'm now able to finalize the disc with the NEC unit I installed.

As for changing the unit, it's very simple - it should take you no more than 10-15 mins - tops.
    1. remove the screws from the case and take the cover off. You will now see the drive being held in place by a bracket with some screws.
    2. carefully remove the flat ribbon cables which are held in place by black tape on the drive and remove the 2 connectors from the back of the drive.
    3. remove the bracket screws from the case, lift drive out of case, then remove the bracket from the drive.
    4. remove the front panel from the new drive as the case has it's own cover - there should be some tabs on each side of the drive and screws/tabs underneath which hold the faceplate in place
    5. install the bracket on the new (replacement) drive, install in the case, and re-connect the 2 ribbon cable connectors
    6. put case cover back on and voila! - you're done

Good luck!.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks mate. I will try.
    Quote Quote