VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hi
    I have decrypted a DVD using DVD decrypter , but when I try to burn a DVD using nero it says that not enough space on 4.7GB DVD. Can I shrink the DVD or is there any easy way to rip DVD and fit on one disc.thnx
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    U have to shrink/compress whatever and the quality of the video will degrade. OR u may be able to rid of some materials u don't care about and just burn the "good stuff." Of course the later requires that u are familiar with an authoring tool.

Or buy double layer 8.5 gig blanks?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use DVDShrink to shrink your decrypted files to DVD-5 size.
    I took the liberty of moving this thread to the correct forum too.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You have nero right?
    Why not use nero recode?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What mats.hogberg said.
    The easiest way is DVD Shrink after ripping. You can compress the whole dvd or you can click the reauthor button and just drag over the main movie and odd's are you won't have to compress at all or very very little to get it on a dvdr.

Originally Posted by ultramarine
    You have nero right?
    Why not use nero recode?
    I did not think nero recode is usually just activated with nero ? Before i thought you had to pay extra to activate it, i don't know about now, because DVD Shrink always gave better results so i have not used recode for years.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck
    What mats.hogberg said.
    The easiest way is DVD Shrink after ripping. You can compress the whole dvd or you can click the reauthor button and just drag over the main movie and odd's are you won't have to compress at all or very very little to get it on a dvdr.

You have nero right?
    Why not use nero recode?
    I did not think nero recode is usually just activated with nero ? Before i thought you had to pay extra to activate it, i don't know about now, because DVD Shrink always gave better results so i have not used recode for years.
    Nero Recode 2 is bundled with Nero OEM. Don't like it though. No option to encode with maximum smoothness and the output file format is non-standard.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My nero came with the dvd drive. I used the program some time ago. Don;t use it now. I read somewhere that the programmer is the one for dvd shrink..... is it?

Anyway, I still a fan of tmpgenc 3 xpress for this kind of work. Just point and click. I heard tmpgenc 4 is out. Is it any good?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My nero came with the dvd drive. I used the program some time ago. Don;t use it now. I read somewhere that the programmer is the one for dvd shrink..... is it?
    It was written by the same guy and shares many features but has been "nerofied" (for want of a better word). It is not nearly as intuitive to use and is intended to work with Nero's other software.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    saramalik, in order to get the best quality out of a back-up. I suggest you get fimiliar with the concepts of:

More Space=Less Compression=BETTER Quality.
    And
    Less Space=More Compression=Lower quality.

When i back-up stuff i'm always sure to REMOVE ALL the excess fluff that can consume valueble space. Like extra unneeded language tracks, trailers, ads, and removing repeated intros/outros for episodeic series discs. Also downsizing extras you want to keep, so they don't take up too much disc-space.

All of which is VERY EASY to do and well worth the little extra time. Doing this can mean the difference of having to compress 4GBs, or only having to compress 1.5GBs instead.

Theres really no need for Dual-layer, DVD-5 backups can come out quite nice if done right.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For the love of god don't use DVD Shrink for backing up to DVDR! Unless you prefer half-assed backups, that is. Use DVD Rebuilder by JDobbs. I use Cinema Craft Encoder with it, but if you don't want to aquire Cinema Craft Encoder, DVD Rebuilder is bundled with freeware encoders that are almost as good as CCE. Some even argue they are better! Once you are experienced in backing up DVDs, you will understand how inferior DVD Shrink truly is. Best of luck!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There's nothing wrong with DVD Shrink (use deep analysis and AEC max smooth), from a non-homemade DVD. You can still have loss from re-encoding (as opposed to DVD Shrink transcoding), it all depends on what encoder and bitrate is used.

CCE is about $2000, so it's not an option for most people. On the other hand, DVD Shrink is free.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Heh what about DVD2One you guys?

After i'm done removing all excess junk. Like ads, trailors, extra langauge tracks, extra intros/outros, and or downsizing extras i want to keep-- for the least compression possible/highest quality.

I then do the final resize with DVD2One w/variable engine(I NEVER use constant compression engine). I'm sure there are better encoders out there but i'm satisfied with DVD2One, it puts out nice quality.

(Oh and i do all my previous editing stuff above, with a combination of DVDShrink and DVDRemakePro.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Also i use the older DVD2One V1.5.2 -The last one before V2.0 began.

Works great enough, i doubt the newer versions would be any better. Also i'd have to re-pay again just to be able to use versions 2.0 and onward. Not worth the money.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    how about ratdvd? then un-rat it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD2One 1.x is fine. ratDVD is crap.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote