VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    1. How does a wireless access point differ from a wireless router ?

2. When would you need to use one instead of the other ?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by scottb721
    1. How does a wireless access point differ from a wireless router ?
    An access point essentially gives you a point of access onto a network (like a switch/hub). Whereas a router does that too, but also handles routing to another network (to your ISP/Internet connection or another LAN subnet).

Originally Posted by scottb721
    2. When would you need to use one instead of the other ?
    You'd use a router to connect your network to your ISP/Internet or another network with a different subnet (range of IP addresses). An access point would be used like a switch/hub to give a point of access onto your LAN.

Example:

[cable/dsl modem] <----> [router]

If the router has a builtin switch, then you can connect other computers to it and access the Internet - the router will handle "routing" of packets out to your ISP and within your LAN.

I have 2 DSL connections and 3 IP's. One DSL connection has 2 static IP's with it, and as a result has 2 routers connected to it (2x Linksys WRT54G's, each to access each IP). The other DSL connection has 1 router (1x Linksys WRT54G) connected to it -- I connect other computers to those routers and they give me access to the 'net and each respective subnet of my LAN (192.168.0.x, 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x).

[cable/dsl modem] <----> [router] <------//------> [access point]

Drop in an access point (I have a wireless AP in my living room - a Netgear WRG614) and my laptops can now gain access to my LAN. The AP acts as an intermediate point on my network; routing is not necessary (or used) because my LAN already has routers; the AP only provides a point of access.

Given a choice between buying an access point or router, I'd get another router and disable its routing (use it as an access point). Any half-decent router can do that - getting an AP-only costs just about as much $$ and restricts future usage as a router (if needed).

I hope that makes some sense
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A friend is having problems with his set up at home.
    He has a Dlink DSL-302G modem feeding a Dlink DI-524 router.
    He has a desktop PC connected to the router via cable and his laptop uses the wireless function.
    I'll see if I can get him to post here and maybe get a suggestion or two.

For some background info, he has been posting to a forum here,
    http://forum.portforward.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Routers;action=display;num=1129438968

Thanks
    Quote Quote