VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm using Nero and I'm trying to format a DVD-RW or DVD+RW in my AMD3500. I tried formatting a new DCD-RW and it claims it could not be formatted because it was scratched or the surface was dirty. This was a brand new disk right out of the box. The 2nd attempt I used a DVD+RW and it claimed it formatted it fine (with verify turned on). When I clicked on the drive letter I get a dialog window saying "Z:\ is not accessbile. Incorrect function".

Now if its giving me all these errors during/after a format, how reliable are these DVD's going to be? Can I use these DVD's to store the map to Black Beard's treasure? Or should I just get a pen (or knife) and scratch the map on the back of the DVD and forget about InCD?

Can the two DVD's still be used? Or has the formatting screwed them up royally. Is there better software to use to format DVD-RW's? I'm using XP Pro with a Benq burner.

TIA
    Brent
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can I use these DVD's to store the map to Black Beard's treasure? Or should I just get a pen (or knife) and scratch the map on the back of the DVD and forget about InCD?
    The pen or knife would probably be safest.

My experience was this:
    The two most popular burning software packages Nero - InCd and Roxio (formerly Adaptic) - Direct to Disc are not compatable with each other in the same system.
    1. Incd only worked with r/w media
    2. Direct to Disc worked with all media
    3. Either packet writing software could be installed with in conjunction with the competeing software package PROVIDED that the other packet writing software had NOT been installed (or had been removed)

My preferance was to use Nero without Incd and only the Direct to Disc from Roxeo using write once media. Disc's are still readable from mid to late 90's

NOTE ! data stored on 5 1/4" floppies from 160 kb to 1.2mb also are still readable but the hardware to read them is rather hard to find
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I might be wrong, but I didn't think you could format DVD-RW discs, only CDs which might be why the software is called InCD and not InDVD. Any blank writable disc will be displayed as Not Accessable, because the, non-existant, content isn't!

Originally Posted by snafu099
    [NOTE ! data stored on 5 1/4" floppies from 160 kb to 1.2mb also are still readable but the hardware to read them is rather hard to find
    I don't know, I've still got a 5 1/4" drive (I only took it out of the tower when I fitted the second DVD drive), although I will admit that it hasn't been used for an awfully long time!
    Quote Quote  
  4. I know this is about Nero, but its not software playing. Moving you to the computer forum

/moderator bugster
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those that understand binary...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Richard G.

From the InCD help file:
    "InCD uses only rewriteable discs (CD-RW, DVD-RAM, DVD+RAM, DVD+RW, DVD-RW). " So yes DVD's are support. it's just the name that's odd.

If InCD is unreliable, how does one use DVD-RW/DVD+RW in their computer? I can't write to it as a DVD-R "Make a Data DVD" because I believe the DVD-RW will become uneraseable. I need to have an eraseable DVD in my computer. What software should I be using?

Any suggestions? TIA
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry if I implied in my first response the InCd or Direct to Disc were unreliable by saying use pen or knife. This was a tonge in cheek comment regarding any electronic media vs the old tried and true paper and pen or carved in stone.

Both InCd and Direct to Disc use "packet writing", but somewhat differently. InCd will only work with rewritable media but Direct to Disc will allow you to use write once media.

In either case once initalized the disc's can be written to using drag and drop, copy/paste like a floppy or hard drive until the disc is finalized. With Direct to Disc, the disc when ejected askes what you want to do, finalize or eject as is. Selecting "as is" keeps the disc "open" so that you can insert it later and continue to write to it. Once the disc is finalized it can not be writen to again using write once media or until you erase a r/w media

When using r/w media with normal burn application you write the data once and the disc is finalized, in order to re-use/write to the disc again you erase the disc loseing what was written before. It is not written to like a floppy or hard drive, it is written to like write once media except that it can be erased and used again.
    Quote Quote