VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Durring playback my Friends DVDRs will skip and jump, and sometimes it just freezes. This doesn't happen with any (well, about 99%) of my other, non-Friends, backups. I have made backups of other TV Series dvds and they play fine.

Every one of this does this.

Has anyone else had this problem with converting the Friends dvds?

I am ripping with DVD Decrypter and converting with Pinnicial Instant Copy 8.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I own the whole Friends series and have backed them all up. I do not expereince any problems with them.

Mine are Region 2 (UK) Series. Each disc is under 4.37GB so I just rip and burn with DVD Decrypter in ISO mode.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I was burning Region 1 and they are like 6-7gig each, so I had to convert them.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you are backing up the entire disc 6-7gb to one DVDR (4.4gb) then it could be that your player might be choking on the low bit rate of the DVD.

It's kind of inconsistent, my Pioneer will play discs with a bitrate as low as 1400, but I've seen a Toshiba just freeze when it hits a scene with that low a bit rate. Maybe you could try it on another stand alone player to see if it is the player.

If it is the low bit rate you could also try using a different transcoder like DVD Shrink it's going to transcode differently than Pinnacle, and might not go as low as the bit rate you're seeing.

Otherwise it could be the media, but if you've been using the same media all along, then I would suspect that the media is not the problem.

If you re-do the disc using Shrink maybe you could try it on an RW for testing purposes, so you don't waste too many blanks... For DVD shrink try high quality mode, maximum smooth (that's my personal preference if a disc is being highly compressed)

Anyway I might be going down the wrong path, but that's just been my experience...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Lord, What brand of media are you using?
    Quote Quote