VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey There,

I made a backup copy of my DVD--movie only. When I checked it on my DVD player, it played, but in full screen format even though the movie itself is only in widescreen on the original DVD, so it looks like it's cut off on the TV. I can't figure out how to force the aspect ratio to play correctly.

I'm using MTR to rip and popcorn to copy the main feature only.

Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have no idea how it happened to you, but it sounds like the aspect ratio flag on the file you burned got mis-set as 4:3 instead of 16:9. Only a few players or 4:3 TVs will let you play a disk in letterbox widescreen if the flag is set for 4:3. It's a perpetual problem for me, because the Panasonic DVD recorder in my HT rig sets the flag as 4:3 on everything, even though most of what I record with it is widescreen HD down-converts. I have to re-burn these disks on my Mac with the flag set for 16:9 if I want to use them anywhere but a WS TV.

There are a number of apps that let you change that flag. I use MyDVD edit, which has a very clear, understandable interface. You can download it from Version Tracker, and the documentation spells out how to access and change the flag.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Popcorn has some issues like that. I'd suggest using DVD2OneX instead and complaining to Roxio.
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote