VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. just my 2 cents

i see mainly 1 person keep on bashing the panny's then recommends this other brand with this supposed superior chip etc...

well i wanted to see if there really is better video quality wise machines out there then my panny e100 and i bought the new sony hdd machine

from the day or two testing out the machine, recording stuff in hq+ mode which is hdd only and comparing it to xp and sp vids from the e100

imho i cannot see that much of a differance on my tv and also checking them out on my computer monitor at 1600x1200

believe me, i know what i am doing, checked both out from head to toe

if the sony as reviewed by many to be at the very top in video quality, i just don't see any other machines blowing the panny's away

this is an honest opinion, i forked out $700+ to see if there was this hype about better vid quality machines

after seeing for myself it was all hype, any of the top quality brands should have comparable quality imho, none of this bs blow out quality i keep reading about

i really wanted to keep the sony but i couldn't justify keeping it because i just couldn't tell the differance in vid quality to the e100 and add to that some of the flaws of the machine, like the no divide and barebones clunky interface that the panny blows away

i am out like $140 from restocking fee and shipping it back by buying into this video quality hype lol

never again, next machine i will buy is when blue ray or hd dvd comes out
    Quote Quote  
  2. I appreciate you taking the plunge and saving me the money. However, I was already confident my Panny rocks.
    Quote Quote  
  3. It looks like my burner doesn't read DVD-RAM, so that makes the decision easier.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Michelle
    It looks like my burner doesn't read DVD-RAM, so that makes the decision easier.
    Hmmm, OK.
    Quote Quote  
  5. DVD-RAM is like a small 4 gig hd. Its used in recorders that don't have a HD. Has a rewrite rating of 100,000 times. I believe it too.

Get those that are in a cartridge, these keep it clean as their disk surface is rather delicate I noticed. Make sure the reader you have on the computer can take cartridges too. I also have a dvd player that can play DVD-RAM.
    Quote Quote  
  6. DVD-RAM rocks, best discs made.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Michelle
    I plan on using the recorder as a capture device. I need to be able to transfer to the PC where I will author new discs. So it sounds like RW is not only less expensive but more suitable for my needs.
    There is no doubt that DVD-RW is more appropriate in your specific case. I really don't understand how a question of DVD rewritable media could become bashing Panasonic's DVD recorders. Picture quality is sometimes rather subjective and may also depend on video sources and other equipments used. Suffice to say that most name brand products provide similar PQ at XP and SP mode, but definitely judge it on your own if possible.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I admit I prefer the JVC over the Panasonic but not because of macro blocks or bad data, but because of speed. I like the Panasonic, I feel it does a good job as long as the source is good and clean. I've never had any real issues with the Panasonic as far as the dvd-ram format goes. I use Ulead's DVD Workshop to author and it works like a dream.

The JVC tends to blur the video making it softer and the dark areas aren't true black, the movie is a bit lighter than the original, (not like the black level bug, but slightly noticeable). Yet the JVC's picture quality overall is slighty better than the Panasonic (when the machine works). 8)
    Do unto others....with a vengeance!
    Quote Quote  
  9. "How do I find out if my burner will read DVD-RAM?"

It only writes DVD-RAM if you have DVD-RAM driver for it & if you didn't get that when you bought it chances are it won't write DVD-RAM, so may not read it either. but you can search the net for the specs for your drive.

What would be the point? These days dvd-r is dirt cheap, easier to just use that & have a backup copy always available.
    Quote Quote