VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I want to make a XVCD / mpeg1 file. What is the highest possible bitrate for mpeg1?
    I read somewhere her in the forum that 175o is the highest, then somewhere else 1850. In another forum someone said something about 1900. So what is the highest possible bitrate for a mpeg1 video file?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

https://www.videohelp.com/xvcd.htm

Apparently on that page it says "any" mpeg2 bitrate. My guess is you might be able to go up to 9000.

HOWEVER, it will seriously reduce the amount of video you could store on it since it would take up MUCH more space than a lower bitrate.

AND not all xvcd capable dvd players may have the same bitrate ceiling for xvcd.

Probably the best thing would be to test it out for your situation on a rewritable disc

Kevin
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I was just reading some of this http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/frame/research/mpeg/mpeg_overview.html
    Very informative stuff.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's really dependant on your DVD player. Some players can handle very high,as high 8000,others will choke on anything above standard.
    In my own expieriance many players can handle upto 5500. These are peak bitrates,the average would lower. Higher bitrates are probably better handled by XSVCD.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by ShinKyo
    What is the highest possible bitrate for mpeg1?
    Go to your encoders setting page and simply keep increasing the bitrate until it refuses to go any higher.

Will anything play it (other than a PC), doubtful.

Is it worth it! Depends on the source but doubtful.

What is the highest value woth encoding VCD resolution video at? Not sure, but you probably get towards the point of diminishing returns around 2000, depending on the material.
    Quote Quote