VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I recently learned that the difference why dvd-9's made by official companies, FOX, atlantis alliance, etc. are burnt using a bump system and every burner type for home usage is done trough a die and the reason they won't read it because you need a special laser for the new type of die.

So here is my question. Is it possible to get a dvd-burner for computers that use the bump system so that it can read on dvd-player?
    Quote Quote  
  2. They are not burnt,they are pressed.
    Quote Quote  
  3. To do it like they do it.would cost thousands.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I understand that, but what I can't figure out is i get a lot of dvd's out of mainland asia, and lot of times it's not the most prestigious origins. So is there anyother way cause I can't imagine someguy in a basement in singapore w/ a multi-thousand pressing machine to produce a $10 dvd
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yup thats how it goes..LOL
    Quote Quote  
  6. they have factories...LOL
    Quote Quote  
  7. weak....I've already got 3 dvd players, I don't wanna buy a new one everytime a new format comes out...When I researched dual layer support on dvdrhelp.com it only showed like 12 players or so that supported dual layer, but then in a thread I read it was was more like %40, just how many approixmatly of current dvd players support dual layer, and is there a list somewhere?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Not sure about that..take alook at the DVD players to the left..
    Quote Quote  
  9. I did that's how I found 12 players <including ps2/xbox> that officially support it. Was wondering if anybody knew ones that weren't officially but did work w/ those discs
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I think you'll find that the DVD players list here relies predominantly (if not totally) on users testing their own (and/or friends') players. So it's a fair bet that if someone doesn't have a DL burner, then they can't test burnt DL media on their player, can they ?

I think you'll find that as DL media comes down, the proliferation of DL burners will take place and a bi-product of that is that more and more people will start testing players for DL compatibility. The flow-on effect will be that more reviews will be loaded in the DVD Players section, showing if DL is supported.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    as jimmalenko said, dual layer burners and media are relatively new.

I would like to expand a bit on this.

DL discs are also:
    1) Harder to manufacture (and thus cost more).
    2) Harder to get a reliable burn (quality)
    3) Less support from stand-alone (and even PC) dvd devices.

#2 involves the recorder's firmware, and whether support for specific DL media is included. Support can be added via firmware releases from the drive's manufacturer (or in some cases hacked/modified firmware - use unofficial firmwares at your own risk!)

#3 can be improved if the DL disc is bitset to DVD-ROM (The burner must support this feature in firmware)

Read more info at:
    www.cdrinfo.com
    www.cdfreaks.com

***I have not tried any DL media myself, it is still way to expensive to try testing with.***
    Some people say dog is mans best friend. I say that man is dog's best slave... At least that is what my dogs think.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by meping
    just how many approixmatly of current dvd players support dual layer, and is there a list somewhere?
    ALL players support dual layer discs - it's part of the spec and most commercial discs are dual layer anyway.

A recordable disc should appear to the player as a regular disc, but because of how they are made, authored and so on, some "look" closer to an original than others.

The issue is how reliable the media is and how successful the burn is. You shouldn't really blame the player if it can't handle recordable media, you should blame the media manufacturer for not getting their discs right (a DVD player should play pressed DVD's - anything else is a bonus really).

If you've got a player that genuinely doesn't support dual layer media, take it back - it's either buggered or not compliant (and you're probably missing about 35 - 50% of your movies...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Recordable +DL are not officially supported. No RW Alliance media is officially supported.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote