VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've been using the AIW Radeon for some time on a different system, though i don't know if i recall this problem...

Whenever i capture to an MPEG template other than VCD (even the default MPEG templates), the capture appears to go fine (usually with no frame drops), but the file won't open either with Windows Media or ATI File Player (Ver 7.0) or TMPGEnc.

How can i get my machine to recognize these different file types??? Thanks to anybody who can help!

--------------
    Dan
    Windows XP
    Dual Athlon 1600+ MP's
    ATI AIW Radeon with MMC 7.5 update
    512 Mem
    60GXP HDD
    Quote Quote  
  2. I never had this problem but it 'might' be the difference in labeling. I recall reading a post at some point about ati labeling mpg files mpeg and mpg2 mpeg2...try renaming and see if that helps...

Macros
    Quote Quote  
  3. I am getting the same exact problem using the ATI AIW Radeon. I wanted to capture to a large mpeg format like 720x480 to save drive space. Then use that for editing and convert it to VCD quality [352x240]later. But if I try to open the captured mpeg[720x480] in tmpgenc, it GPFs. Same with a number of other products, not just tmpgenc. What's the deal?

Later,
    TheNob
    Quote Quote  
  4. Also, if you guys use ATI AIW Radeon, would you give my latest post a look? I'm a little confused.

https://www.videohelp.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=73552&forum=2

Thanks,
    TheNob
    Quote Quote  
  5. By the way, I have now noticed that this problem happens to me on two different machines that are running XP, but it doesn't occur on my win98 machine. Go figure.

Later,
    TheNob
    Quote Quote  
  6. What I had to do was RENAME THE FILE TO .mpeg ( I know it was supposed to be MPEG or AVI to begin with) but it worked for me each time. Nothing to loose by trying........use the old Windows Rename (Right Click, select RENAME) after you highlight the file.

Bud
    Quote Quote  
  7. I tried changing the extension to .mpeg, but it doesn't work. I haven't installed a DVD player in my machine yet, i'm wondering if that's throwing off the mpeg 2 codecs.

I'll let you know what i come up with, good luck all!

-MunDMC
    Quote Quote  
  8. I tried both renaming the file and installing the ATI DVD player and niether seemed to work. I have taken the same captured mpeg file and tried to open it on different machines using tmpgenc. It always errors out on XP machines, but never on win98 machines. I think we have an OS compatibility problem.

TheNob
    Quote Quote  
  9. Try installing the MPEG-2 codec from the Tools section

I can open everything I've ever recorded with my AIW and you should see the resolutions I've been testing wtih my new Reg Tool ... crap like 704x96 MPEG-2 ... and it all opens -- with the stand alone MPEG-2 codec (but not without it - even if you do install the ATI File Player)
    your pal,
    Stinky
    Quote Quote  
  10. Uh, this may not be it, but this happend to me once.

Somtimes when you rename a file, say by clicking on the file video.mp2 and then typeing video.mpg it really only makes it video.mpg.mp2

Windows is picky about letting really change the extension of a file.
    (thank you uncle bill).

I had to go to dos to rename some files, because windows was tyring to "help" me.

dont know if it will help you, but it worked for me.

(will be nice when windows is a real os, which saves file attributes in the object itself, but I digress).

dp
    Quote Quote  
  11. You absolutely NEED to have the MPEG2 codecs installed. I believe that that should solve all issues.

Macros
    Quote Quote  
  12. You can read MPEG-1 files, including VCD, if you didn't install the ATI DVD software, but you will NOT be able to open MPEG-2 files with either the File Player or Windows Media Player. The DVD software has the MPEG-2 codec you need to read MPEG-2 files.

Why? MPEG-2 is still under patent protection, so vendors must pay royalties to include it. The patents for MPEG-1, have expired so vendors can include it at no additional cost.

RF
    Quote Quote  
  13. Hi,

I have an ATI-AIW-Radeon and can capture without any Problems even in Best quality (but only I-Frames) and can play them with the File-Player. To this point everythings fine.
    BUT: I can't open the File in the WindowsPlayer neither in TMPGEnc (rename doesn't work).
    A while a go i downloaded an MPEG2-Codec and after installing it the above mentioned Problem was gone, BUT now the audio while playing gets totally out-of-sync in the second half of the File.

Has someone the same Problem ?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Installed the MPEG-2 codec, but i still can't open mpeg-2 files in wmp, TMPG, -or- MMC file player. Could this all be because i haven't installed a DVD player in my machine yet???

Thanks for the on-going help all.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Did you install the DVD 4.1 update from ATI ?
    Quote Quote  
  16. I get the colossal jackass award!earlier in this thread i stated i was using MMC 7.5; i was actually on MMC 7.2

A combination of ensuring MPEG-2 codec's were installed and updating to MMC 7.5 did the trick. I can now encode real time to DVD compliant format with no frame drops. My elatedness is counteracted by feelings of stupidity for not realizing MMC 7.5 was missing in the first place. THanks all for such great help along the way!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Hi,

strange things happen. As i mentioned above, i have problems to open ATI's mp2-Files (480x576-PAL, 6Mbit/sec, I-Frames) with TmpgEnc. But this Error only occurs with TmpgEnc-2xx. Now I tried an older version (beta 12a-0.11.20.98 ) and hurray it works, even if i not install that mpeg2-Codec from the Tools-section.

Probabley this works for some of you too.
    Quote Quote