VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    This guide will help you to easily cut out clips from a DVD and convert them to AVI, MP4, WMV etc using only free software.

Tools required:
    DVD Shrink
    WinFF (or Xvid4PSP or Encode360)
    DVDFab Decrypter if you want to rip DVD from newer commercial DVD releases

Guide

Cut out clips from DVD
    In DVD Shrink Open Disc (or choose File->Open Disc Image from ISO file or File->Open... to open a VIDEO_TS folder on your HDD) and DVD Shrink will index the DVD. If DVD Shrink wont read the DVD then try LATEST DVDFab Decrypter to rip the DVD to the HDD, see here.

Select the main movie.
    Just choose one audio track
    Click on Re-Author to start CUT.

Select the Main movie title and drag it to the DVD Structure.
    Click on Set Start/End frames button to cut.

Set start and Stop
    You can add more clips from same movie by drag the Movie title again and cut it, each clip will be one file.

Last hit Backup to save the clips
    Output to Hard Disk Folder

Convert
    You can now use several tools to convert the VOB files from DVD Shrink to other video formats. Like WinFF or Xvid4PSP to convert to AVI or MP4(like for Ipod, PSP, Xbox 360, PS3, etc) and Encode360 to convert to WMV.

Convert to AVI, MP4 using WinFF
    WinFF, easy to use and can batch convert but you can not crop and add other filters.
    Add all the VTS0X_1.VOB clips from the VIDEO_TS folder that DVD Shrink made.
    Under Convert to choose the profile you want to convert to like
    AVI with XVID 16:9(choose 16:9 if you source is anamorphic, check the back on the DVD cover)
    MP4 with H264
    Convert! A command line window will popup and show you encoding information, do NOT close it until it's done.

Convert to AVI, MP4 using Xvid4pSP
    Xvid4PSP is easy to use and has more settings like cropping but no batch mode.
    Click on the DVD and choose the VIDEO_TS folder that DVD Shrink made
    Choose the Title you want to convert
    Select a Format, Video and Audio Codec
    Under Video->Resolution/Aspect can you easily resize the video
    Encode!

Convert to WMV
    You can open the VOB directly in Windows Vista Movie Maker if you have installed ffdshow. Or else can you use Encode360, open the vob and convert to WMV.

Convert to MPG
    You can just try rename the .vob to .mpg and it should work fine in most DVD/mpeg players and mpeg editors. But you might sync problems because of ac3 audio delay. You can then remultiplex it to mpeg2 using Xvid4PSP, open DVD and choose the VIDEO_TS folder from DVD Shrink, select title and then choose MPEG2-PS under Format and under video and audio choose Copy. Encode.

Problems
    DVD Shrink does not support newer commercial DVDs. Then try use LATEST DVDFab Decrypter and rip to an ISO file or to folder on your HDD.
    In the free DVDFab Decrypter choose your DVD Drive
    Set output target and click on the folder-icon to output to folder(VIDEO_TS) or the image-icon to output to an ISO-file
    Then open the ISO or folder in DVD Shrink and cut as above

Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Many thanks Baldrick

I usually find the pop up toaster a bit of a challenge, but even I could follow your instructions.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for this guide, it definitely got me started. I had some probs though. I wanted to cut out parts from a couple of videos, but I ended up getting the video split up. I needed to rejoin, but since you need to have the same bit rate it wouldn't work. So what I did was I used Xvid4PSP and Joined them and then reconverted; everything was in sync now. Then again maybe I can join the separate Vobs before converting, perhaps that was my mistake. Anyways, just some thoughts I hope will help others.
    "If it all goes thru like it's supposed to, the whole neighborhood knows you and they'll expose you..." ~Slim SHady
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This was absolutely the most useful information I found online! And.... it actually worked! Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is a great guide but I have one problem. I am cutting several clips from several different DVD's. DVD Shrink does that great. After I have all my clips I "backup" with DVD Shrink to a seperate output folder. I then want to convert the folder I just created into one .AVI file. But when I use WinFF to do the conversion it creates a seperate .AVI for each VTS_0#_1.VOB file.

How can I create one .AVI file?

Am I missing a setting?

Is there a way to change the .VOB files to be VTS_01_#. VOB structure instead before running WinFF?

Thanks in acvance
    Quote Quote  
  6. After converting the cut out parts with Winff to avi the video contains nothing but squares.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if I am to convert a whole movie this way, wouldn't it create several .avi files? Do I have to join them together?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    fwawrzniak:Join the vobs using vobmerge.

bolognese: You might have to decrypt the dvd using dvdfab decrypter first. Or try another converter like format factory, xvid4psp.

dora: Don't use this method to convert a whole movie, use instead just autogk, handbrake (click on them for guides).
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just a note:
    DVDShrink can also output bigger VOBs, just untick the "split VOBs into 1GB" checkbox.
    I haven't tried this myself but the setting is there...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    My post disappeared, I am a 19 year old music student wanting to cut out many clips from educational DVDs and glue them all together into a long tape of all of the things I would like to practice consistently. I will probably be using a Mac as my PC is getting a bit old.
    Also some of the dvds are around 6 hours long so I am under the impression I will have to import them onto my hard drive and then cut them up with a program and then use another program to mash them together, Also I would like to have the ability to slow down certain clips to make for easier learning.
    If anybody has any idea how to do this easily I would be forever in your debt
    Thankyou!!!
    Andrew Kavanagh.

P.s feel free to email me with a reply andrewkavanagh632@gmail.com
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your post is here: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/349624-What-I-want-to-do-is-take-all-of-my-educatio...12#post2189412

It's probably not a good idea to post your email address on a public forum, though.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Had trouble with using DVD Shrink to cut out the commercials of a DVD made with a set-top unit. It wouldn't let me edit very well. I wanted to edit frames. It wouldn't let me. It appeared to edit by multiple frames, and not one single frame.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by snafubaby View Post
    Had trouble with using DVD Shrink to cut out the commercials of a DVD made with a set-top unit. It wouldn't let me edit very well. I wanted to edit frames. It wouldn't let me. It appeared to edit by multiple frames, and not one single frame.
    One of the best programs for editing out commercials is VideoReDo. It is not free, but there is a fully functional trial for testing purposes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Has anyone encountered audio or subtitle sync issues if you're deleting from the start of a video in Reauthor mode? If you demux the video, the audio file name will usually indicate a delay.
    Last edited by spiritgumm; 14th Dec 2016 at 21:51.
    Quote Quote