VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Ok, I've been having this problem for several months, and I've been constantly asking this same question over and over and over again, yet no one seems to know how to help me on this .

My camcorder I use is a cheap Aiptek A-HD+ 1080p SD Card/Hard Drive Hi-Definition camcorder. It was $150 and ordered from Amazon, just to give u a little background for the apparatus I use.

What I'm doing: I'm capturing analog video of myself playing my video games by having my camcorder's AV cable plugged into the TV's AV output ports in the back.

Now the real problem: The videos I create, analog or real life, r .mov (.qt)/.mp4 (H.264) files. That's the file my camcorder uses. I want to edit my video in Windows Movie Maker, but the problem is Windows Movie Maker doesn't support .mov, .qt, .mp4, or H.264 files that my camcorder uses. That just sucks.

Conversion: Conversion doesn't work either. I've used tons of different .mov converters, but none of them ever work. I convert the .mov to a .avi, but converting like that always f***s up my video, and when I play it in WMM, it either crashes, or the video plays like the codec got screwed up beyond imagination....it made this extremely loud buzzing noise, and the video was only moving by 1 frame sporadicaly, and changing to purple and back to the regular color again, and it was split in half by a big black bar in the middle.

Conclusion: So now after months of searching, there's apparantly no free video editing software that can import .mov/.mp4 files without problem, and no free conversion programs that can convert my video without messing it up. I heard Adobe Premiere Elements 7 can import .mov/.mp4 files, but I have a feeling that it wont. I've experienced things like that. Like I found a converter that can covert .mov to .avi, but those never work, and the video editing softwares always have problems with my files, like it'll crash, take forever to load/save the file, the file will play messed up, u name it. SO I can't trust any program now.

So I'm out of ideas. I've had it with this. I've been trying to find out how to resolve this problem for months, but no one seems to know! I know someone has to have an answer for this...

Plz someone help me end this hellish journey!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Here is one free method:

Confirm your audio & video codecs with mediainfo

Install real alternative, avisynth, haali media splitter, ffdshow if you don't already have them (enable h264 in the video configuration and AAC in the audio configuration)

Confirm that you can play the videos in MPC with this setup

Use avisynth script to frameserve, (just write this line in notepad, and rename to .avs extension, of course adjust the fps, path & filenames to reflect your setup): e.g.

DirectShowSource("PATH\File.mov",fps=23.976,audio= true)

If you are content with WMM, you can make an uncompressed AVI with no quality loss (but huge filesize) in vdub. This AVI can be "read" by WMM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried VirtualDub with the MOV MP4 plugin? If it works, you could save to a lossless AVI using Lagarith.
    "Just another sheep boy, duck call, swan
    song, idiot son of donkey kong - Julian Cope"
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    Use avisynth script to frameserve, (just write this line in notepad, and rename to .avs extension, of course adjust the fps, path & filenames to reflect your setup): e.g.

DirectShowSource("PATH\File.mov",fps=23.976,audio= true)
    Umm, wat??? I'm getting confused, is there any other easier way to do this? Ur talking to me like I'm some kind of expert at this lol.

Originally Posted by Safesurfer
    Have you tried VirtualDub with the MOV MP4 plugin? If it works, you could save to a lossless AVI using Lagarith.
    VirtualDub doesn't support .mov it said.

Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    Here is one free method:

Confirm your audio & video codecs with mediainfo

Install real alternative, avisynth, haali media splitter, ffdshow if you don't already have them (enable h264 in the video configuration and AAC in the audio configuration)
    I don't get how to start Haali Media Splitter...I can't find the icon to start it up...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Can a mod delete this post plz??
    Quote Quote  
  6. Use mediainfo (view=>text) on your file, post the information here

Did you put the mov plugin for vdub in the plugins folder (or plugins32 folder)?

Basically if you can play your video back in MPC or a direct show player, the avisynth method should work - Sorry, I don't know how to make it any simpler...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The latest versions of VD should accept .mov video if you add the plugin: http://download.videohelp.com/download/Quicktime_VD_v0.2.0.0_bin.zip

But a simple AVISynth script should also work. I use that method to edit RM video with VD. You can also frameserve the .mov to other encoders. AVISynth may be a bit daunting to start with, but with simple scripts, it's a very powerful program. For your types of video, well worth looking into.

One AVISynth guide: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic284288.html There are many more at the bottom of the AVISynth toolpage.

You might also try a simple payware converter like ConvertXToDVD. It accepts quite a few formats and outputs as a DVD.

EDIT: No real reason to delete your post, but I will tell you your signature is in violation of our rules: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic124514.html Scroll down to the signature size rules.

Please correct this.

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    Did you put the mov plugin for vdub in the plugins folder (or plugins32 folder)?
    Idk how to do that

Originally Posted by redwudz
    EDIT: No real reason to delete your post, but I will tell you your signature is in violation of our rules: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic124514.html Scroll down to the signature size rules.

Please correct this.

Moderator redwudz
    Why is there no reason to delete my post? It's spam, don't u see it? And I changed my signature. Thx for letting me know.

Originally Posted by redwudz
    The latest versions of VD should accept .mov video if you add the plugin: http://download.videohelp.com/download/Quicktime_VD_v0.2.0.0_bin.zip

But a simple AVISynth script should also work. I use that method to edit RM video with VD. You can also frameserve the .mov to other encoders. AVISynth may be a bit daunting to start with, but with simple scripts, it's a very powerful program. For your types of video, well worth looking into.

One AVISynth guide: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic284288.html There are many more at the bottom of the AVISynth toolpage.

You might also try a simple payware converter like ConvertXToDVD. It accepts quite a few formats and outputs as a DVD.
    I have no idea wat the hell "frameserving" is, or scripting, or how to do them...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nintendo Fan
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    Idk how to do that
    Open the zip file and read the Quicktime_ReadMe.txt file, it explains the setup.
    "Just another sheep boy, duck call, swan
    song, idiot son of donkey kong - Julian Cope"
    Quote Quote  
  10. If the vdub mov plugin doesn't work for you, perhaps try opening your .mov in avidemux. You can convert to lossless avi (e.g. huffyuv) or uncompressed avi. Just see if it opens first, if it does, I'll try to give you more directions
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    If the vdub mov plugin doesn't work for you, perhaps try opening your .mov in avidemux. You can convert to lossless avi (e.g. huffyuv) or uncompressed avi. Just see if it opens first, if it does, I'll try to give you more directions
    Yea I've used Avidemux before in the past. It works, I can open and view my .mov in it, but I get this

"H.264 detected

If the file is using B-frames as reference it can lead to a crash or stuttering.
    Avidemux can use another mode which is safe but YOU WILL LOSE FRAME ACCURACY.
    Do you want to use that mode?"

Wat should I do??

Also when I save it, it appears on the desktop as a file called "file". I ahve no idea wat to do with this cuz it's not in any kind of file extension, it just says "Type of file: File"

Quote Quote  
  12. say "yes" to using that mode

when you save, you have to save with extension (eg. "myfile.avi")

you still haven't posted the mediainfo information requested earlier.

in avidemux, you have to select an audio & video codec. If you have a lot of HD space, use YV12 for video and WAV PCM for audio in AVI container - this will ensure no quality loss for importing into WMM
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    say "yes" to using that mode

when you save, you have to save with extension (eg. "myfile.avi")

you still haven't posted the mediainfo information requested earlier.

in avidemux, you have to select an audio & video codec. If you have a lot of HD space, use YV12 for video and WAV PCM for audio in AVI container - this will ensure no quality loss for importing into WMM
    Oh come the frig on!!! I imported the vid int avidemux, made it YV12 and WAV PCM, exported it as "Kirby Air Ride.avi" to the desktop, but when I imported it into WMM I got this:

"C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Kirby Air Ride.avi could not be imported. The selected file is not valid or is corrupted."

Does WMM ever cease to piss me off or wat...

I also tried Magic Video Converter, and that can convert my .mov to a .avi, and I can also import it into WMM, but when it's in WMM, I drag it onto the timeline, but when I tell the video to play, it wont. I have to right click on the clip on the clip that's in the collections tray to play it. But then as I kept trying to tell it to play, eventually WMM crashed.

WMM sucks so bad -_-

Umm I can't post the media info cuz it wont let me copy and paste...
    Quote Quote  
  14. I don't use WMM (because, yeah it does suck ), but I assumed it would accept uncompressed AVI...

Change the video in avidemux to DV(lavc) - it accepts DV for sure
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    I don't use WMM (because, yeah it does suck ), but I assumed it would accept uncompressed AVI...

Change the video in avidemux to DV(lavc) - it accepts DV for sure
    Nope, I changed the video to DV (lavc) and audio kept at WAV PCM, but when I imported it itno WMM:

"C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Kirby Air Ride.avi could not be imported. The selected file is not valid or is corrupted."

When I tried saving the video by leaving the audio and video on copy, I imported it, but it said it encountered a problem and needs to close.

This is rediculous! Why am I having so much trouble with just a simple freaking .mov file!!!!! Not even the professional video editing softwares could probly import this!!!! This is freaking bullsh*t!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Omg WILL I EVER FIND A WAY?!??!?!?!?! GOD GIVE ME STRENGTH.................
    Quote Quote  
  16. Here is the info of the video, there r 2 halfs cuz I can't fit it all on the same screen:

First half:

Second half:
    Quote Quote  
  17. My friend said he used a converter called Any Video Converter, and so i tried it and....IT WORKS!!!!!!! I could actually edit it in WMM with no problem at all, and playback was great!!!! WOO-HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!!!!!! But now I gotta find out y the conversions take so long for analog video .mov - .wmv...
    Quote Quote  
  18. Yes!!!!!! Finally!!! My friend on YouTube told me he used a converter called Any Video Converter, and I tried it, converted my .mov to .avi, and it works!!!! I can finally edit the files now!!!!!!! Woo-hoo!!!!!!! I wonder why no other converter could covnert my video the right way?

Now my only problem is that WMM randomly crashes sometimes when I add audio or something...any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  19. OMG I finally got it!!!! This time for sure!!!!!! All I had to do was downlaod a free video converter called SUPER, thanks to a guy on Windows Movie Maker forums, it's a very good converter program that seems a lot better than ones u have to purchase, and it's free.

I converted my H.264 analog video to a .asf, and WMM handled it perfectly. No problems at all. It took near an hour to save the video to the computer, but all WMM vids take that long.

SUPER is amazing, I can't believe it's free. AVS has nothing on SUPER 0_0, it's faster with converting, has a lot of output formats and inputs, detailed parameters, etc. And yes, I used AVS multiple times before so I know.

I am so happy, now I can finally edit those bitch .mov files!!! Woo-hooo!!!! lol
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately SUPER's WMV output is very poor, but if it is the only thing that works . . . . .
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by guns1inger
    Unfortunately SUPER's WMV output is very poor, but if it is the only thing that works . . . . .
    I'm converting the video to .asf, not .wmv.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Same thing, really. WMV/WMA is actually an extension (or the would-be 'current generation') of the ASF format. Some programs even still identify WMV/WMA as ASF.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by Ai Haibara
    Same thing, really. WMV/WMA is actually an extension (or the would-be 'current generation') of the ASF format. Some programs even still identify WMV/WMA as ASF.
    Well watever, even so, SUPER does not have poor WMV quality cuz I uploaded the video on YouTube and its quality is fine...
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm always super-cautious about downloading free software from small companies so was glad to find this free toolkit from Sun (the providers of Java)

http://java.sun.com/javase/technologies/desktop/media/jmf/

You'll need to have Java installed on your machine, (another free download) and then download and install this "Java Media Framework". Run the "JMStudio" application, open your MOV file, then select "Export" to convert to AVI.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AVI doesn't always work well in WMM with odd codecs in the file.

WMV ( and ASF, it seems) and DV are the only formats WMM handles well, from my experience.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just tried taking an MOV from my Panasonic Lumix camera and converted to AVI using Sun's Java Media Framework (from the link above). Imported fine into WMM 5.1 running on XP. All worked OK using the default settings.
    Obviously different versions of MOV encodings and software may be a factor but it works for me...
    Quote Quote  
  27. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use Mpeg Streamclip for most of my mov files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, what codec is within that AVI container though, please? I've only had rock solid performance with plain ol' vanilla DV within an AVI. For me, if the AVI contains Sorenson or MJPEG (repackaged via the Mp4Cam2AVI freebie without transcoding) it appears to work at first, but it's flakey...

..sometimes you need to fiddle about in WMM before you notice that AVIs cause it problems.... trimming or splitting clips is where it often shows up its instability.

Cheeers
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what codec is within that AVI container though, please?
    The export dialog has options for RGB, YUV, CVID,IV32,IV41,IYUV,IV50, MJPG,H263. I went with the default, "RGB"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I tried MPeg streamclip, but that doesn't export to WMV.
    The only other option (for good WMM performance) is DV, which is huge for filesizes and my 640x480 res gets lost as it squeezes it into a slightly different frame size. WMV is the only way to keep 640x480 that I've found - which means I use Super (c) and have to meddle about with "WMV Indexer" (free utility) sometimes when WMM has trouble with a clip.

On the whole though, I'm so disappointed with 640x480 quality on youtube that I've given up until I upgrade to 720p HD with a new camera. The FZ28 and FX37 are looking promising. Heaven knows how I'm going to edit that footage though...
    Quote Quote