VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83
    Digital8 is a digital (mini-DV) system. All use tapes of the same size and you can (I believe) use the analogue tapes in a mini-DV camcorder such as yours.
    Nope, Digital8 tapes are the large Video8/Hi8 format. MiniDV is about half the size. This is the type Amddurin has.
    Half the size ?

I would like to see one of those in direct comaprison to a Video8/Hi8 tape. And we are BOTH talking about mini-DV (are we not ?). And I only have experience with Hi8 with those tapes not exactly 'large'

Me thinks you need a new tape measure
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did say "about". My point is that they are NOT the same tapes, contrary to your claim. A Digital8/Video8/Hi8 tape will NOT fit into a MiniDV camcorder because the tape is nothing like the MiniDV tape. Have you actually seen the two types of cassettes (or done two minutes of Wiki research) or are you hypothesising?

Where's a wall.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Where's a wall.
    - I got 4, but they are all in use right now...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83
    Digital8 is a digital (mini-DV) system. All use tapes of the same size and you can (I believe) use the analogue tapes in a mini-DV camcorder such as yours.
    Nope, Digital8 tapes are the large Video8/Hi8 format. MiniDV is about half the size. This is the type Amddurin has.
    Half the size ?

I would like to see one of those in direct comaprison to a Video8/Hi8 tape. And we are BOTH talking about mini-DV (are we not ?). And I only have experience with Hi8 with those tapes not exactly 'large'

Me thinks you need a new tape measure
    Video 8/HI8/Digital 8 (8mm tape size.) is not called MiniDV - Only 6mm tape size is MiniDV (MiniDVcam for PRO use.) - Very small tape for digital camcorders...

See comparison of the 2 formats here: New link: https://laur.uk/2021/05/11/digitise-video8-digital8-minidv-tapes-part-1/

DV and DVCam also comes in bigger tapes for longer playtime, they have the "DV" and "DVCam" name without the "Mini" in their names, they need big cameras, like the shoulder-borne one's or tape decks for studio/PRO use. (SONY DSR-25 etc..)
    Last edited by Amddurin; 23rd Mar 2024 at 08:21. Reason: More info (again) about DV and DVCam tapes - New link - YouTube video was bad...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Amddurin View Post
    I know... - Only used the cam record button for WinDV...

No need to press record in Premiere as it controls the cam - You can also set in/out points in editing and then export the in/out bit only - Thats why I was a bit confused how to record from WinDV...
    So are you saying "print to tape" works on premiere but not on WinDV?

Check out my HDV print to tape thread to see if you can get a tip or two, although it has a different purpose about printing progressive into HDV tapes.
    Here is a follow-up thread.
    Last edited by dellsam34; 21st Mar 2024 at 15:00.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    From the manual: "Recording video or TV programs" aka "Print to tape":

[Attachment 77859 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    So are you saying "print to tape" works on premiere but not on WinDV?
    No, I was saying that it works for me now with WinDV when I press record on the Camcorder and record in WinDV.
    Then I was just stating how it normally should work in Premiere. (Where Premiere controls the camera with no need to press anything on the cam.)

Why Premiere is not sending video out to the cam is still a mystery…

So now I know that it was not the camera, but Premiere that’s the problem.

My second problem with the cam recording black screen when filming, seems to be a capacitor that is faulty, but for now I don’t need it to film, I just need to use the VTR function of the camera to transfer MiniDV tapes to PC… - That function is working in both WinDV and Premiere with Firewire.

And if I need the cam to record/print to tape from the PC again, I can just use WinDV for that.
    Last edited by Amddurin; 21st Mar 2024 at 20:11.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @DB83 - I just updated info in #34...
    Quote Quote