VideoHelp Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 27 of 27
Thread
  1. Member vhelp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    New York
    Search Comp PM
    solved. see post # 21

    Hi, I am having trouble or confusion w/ the huffy codec: https://www.videohelp.com/download/huffyuv-2.1.1.zip

    I have two virtualdubs that I use, v1.6.15 and v1.9.11 with shortcuts on my desktop so that I can drag/drop avi files into any of them.

    I mostly use v1.9.11 but today, I had an avi that use the "HFYU" codec code. And QSVenc would not open it via avs script. I tried lsmash and ffms2 and both would crash, and when i used avisource() it would tell me that the codec was not installed. I'm guessing that it is using an old method.

    Now, here comes the confusion, on my part. v1.9.11 (when huffy installed) it will open it fine, but still won't in QSVenc. Still crashes in that app. But opens fine in vdub v1.9.11, however, in vdub v1.6.15 it will not open at all. It throws the the error

    "Couldn't locate decompressor for format HFYU"
    "VirtualDub requires a video for windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. DirectShow codecs, such as those used by Windows Media Player, are not suitable."

    I am guessing that the above error is the reason QSVenc will not open that codec, because it still uses the old vfw code routine for avisynth. I don't know, just guesses and theories at this point.

    See below for the huffyuv.inf installer file. Maybe there is some clues how to get it working for both vdub's and QSVenc.

    How can I install this codec under windows 7 home prem (64bit) successfully so that QSVenc can use it ?

    Code:
    ;
    ; Huffyuv AVI lossless video codec
    ;
    ; Copyright (c) 2000 Ben Rudiak-Gould
    ;
    ; This Windows 9x Installation INF File by Rainbow Software
    ;
    [version]
    signature="$CHICAGO$"
    
    [DefaultInstall]
    CopyFiles=HUF.Files.Inf,HUF.Files.Dll
    AddReg=HUF.Reg
    UpdateInis=HUF.INIs
    
    [DefaultUnInstall]
    DelFiles=HUF.Files.Dll,HUF.Files.Inf,HUF.Files.Ini
    DelReg=HUF.Reg
    UpdateInis=HUF.INIs.Del
    
    [SourceDisksNames]
    1="Huffyuv AVI lossless video codec","",1
    
    [SourceDisksFiles]
    HUFFYUV.INF=1
    HUFFYUV.DLL=1
    
    [DestinationDirs]
    HUF.Files.Inf=17
    HUF.Files.Dll=11
    HUF.Files.Ini=25
    
    [HUF.Files.Inf]
    HUFFYUV.INF
    
    [HUF.Files.Dll]
    HUFFYUV.DLL
    
    [HUF.Files.Ini]
    HUFFYUV.INI
    
    [HUF.Reg]
    HKLM,SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaResources\icm\VIDC.HFYU,Description,,"Huffyuv lossless codec [HFYU]"
    HKLM,SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaResources\icm\VIDC.HFYU,Driver,,"huffyuv.dll"
    HKLM,SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaResources\icm\VIDC.HFYU,FriendlyName,,"Huffyuv lossless codec [HFYU]"
    
    HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\drivers.desc",huffyuv.dll,,"Huffyuv lossless codec [HFYU]"
    HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32",VIDC.HFYU,,"huffyuv.dll"
    
    HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\HUFFYUV
    HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\HUFFYUV,DisplayName,,"Huffyuv AVI lossless video codec (Remove Only)"
    HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\HUFFYUV,UninstallString,,"rundll.exe setupx.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultUninstall 132 %17%\HUFFYUV.INF"
    
    [HUF.INIs]
    system.ini, drivers32,, "VIDC.HFYU=huffyuv.dll"
    
    [HUF.INIs.Del]
    system.ini, drivers32, "VIDC.HFYU=huffyuv.dll"
    Last edited by vhelp; 4th Jan 2017 at 18:40.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member DB83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    By any chance, are these two versions of vdub 1@32 bit and 1@64 bit ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member vhelp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    New York
    Search Comp PM
    yes, everything is 32bit.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Well I feel like a stalker here but you seem to keep having the kind of problems I work with.

    The dll is 32-bit but wrongly installs as 64-bit.

    Put the HUFFYUV.DLL in C:\Windows\SysWOW64.

    Create a file with .reg extension containing the following:

    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32]
    "VIDC.HFYU"="huffyuv.dll"
    Run it.

    Works for me.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Why do ppl keep calling this the huffy codec? Who is huffy?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member vhelp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    New York
    Search Comp PM
    just got finished trying both suggestions. Each failed to open in v1.6.15 and QSVenc. Same error message about vfw. Huffy must have some tie to vfw that these two apps will not open through. And before anyone asks, let me mention again, that lsmash and ffms2 won't open huffy avi's on my machine through avisynth as well. All these methods below fail to open with this huffy file. It will only open in vdub v1.9.11, but does me no good for QSVenc (32bit version), windows 7 home prem 64bit, avisynth 32bit.

    Code:
     v ="video.huffy.avi"
     avisource(v)
    Code:
     v ="video.huffy.avi"
     LoadPlugin( "i:\plugins\LSMASHSource.dll" ) 
     LWLibavVideoSource(v, cache=true , seek_mode=0 )
    Code:
     v ="video.huffy.avi"
     LoadPlugin( "i:\plugins\ffms2.32b.dll" )
     FFVideoSource(v, fpsnum=29970, fpsden=1001)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    lsmash and ffms2 won't open huffy avi's on my machine through avisynth as well
    Huffyuv, ffVideoSource(), and LWLibavVideoSource() all work for me. The latter two create an index file so they must have write access to the drive.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I know, just forgot the /sarc tag.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member DB83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    Just some observations from experiments last night.

    I did have a 32bit vdub installed but no huffyuv codec. So I attempted to install the 32bit version of 2.1.1 but it still did not appear in vdub's compression list.

    So I then installed a 64bit version of vdub AND the 64bit version of huffyuv. Now the codec does appear where it should.

    My only conclusion is that using the installer you can only install the 64bit on Win7/64 - there is a comment on the download page of how one user has claimed to install both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions so you could always try that. But if you have a 64 bit OS then surely 64 bit is the way to go.

    I can not help you with the rest although I do fail to see the need to have more than one version of a program installed on the system - maybe vdubmod but not just plain 'ol vdub
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    But if you have a 64 bit OS then surely 64 bit is the way to go.
    No, because many VirtualDub and AviSynth filters are only available as 32 bit versions.
    Quote Quote  
  11. The 2.1.1 works perfectly well if you install it in the 32-bit environment. All that is needed is the dll in the (proper) search path and the registry entry I posted above.

    2.1.1 works fine, but 2.2.0 not so much.

    Why the OP can make it work in one vdub but not in another is a mystery without further information. Maybe he has put huffyuv.dll in one of the vdub folders or is actually running a 64 bit version or something. The older VirtualDub has UAC-virtualization enabled by default, and huffyuv.dll wants to write to C:\Windows\huffyuv.ini, maybe that could affect things but not on my tests.

    I've tested on 64 bit W7 and W10 with 32-bit vdub 1.7.8 and 1.10.4.

    Everything works fine. With AVISource I have to specify pixel type though, but that might just be me.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member vhelp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    New York
    Search Comp PM
    No, because many VirtualDub and AviSynth filters are only available as 32 bit versions.
    exactly. that's why I'm pretty sure I installed avisynth 32 bit. But just to be sure, here is the version() info on my currently installed avisynth, below.

    version()

    ---------------------------------------------------
    AviSynth 2.60, build:Mar 31 2015 [16:38:54]
    (c) 2000-2014 Ben Rudiak-Gould, et al.
    http://www.avisynth.nl
    ---------------------------------------------------

    Also, regarding vdub v1.6.15, that I use for opening mpeg files that I don't want to use dgindex or ffms2 or lsmash with but only need to open for quick viewing. Been using this forever, almost. Anyway. It is version:

    { virtualdub-MPEG2 1.6.15 (build 24560/release) by Avery Lee, fccHandler }
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member vhelp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    New York
    Search Comp PM
    I keep all my codecs in one location (and in their own folder) to make things simple for me to search/correct/uninstall/etc.

    Code:
    c:\codecs
        |
        |__ huffy
             |
             |__ huffyuv.dll
             |__ huffyuv.inf
             |__ huf.install.reg # (from suggestion in post #4)
    Quote Quote  
  14. I wouldn't say it makes things simpler, because it doesn't work that way. You can put the full path in the registry key: "VIDC.HFYU"="C:\Codecs\huffy\huffyuv.dll", if that's the route you really wan't to go.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member DB83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    But if you have a 64 bit OS then surely 64 bit is the way to go.
    No, because many VirtualDub and AviSynth filters are only available as 32 bit versions.
    Fair comment.

    Anyway I got it to work in the 32 bit version by following the direction in the comments on the download page. So that's 3 different ways to achieve the same thing.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    Why do ppl keep calling this the huffy codec? Who is huffy?
    Because it's powered by tiny computer gnomes riding Huffy bicycles.

    Quote Quote  
  17. Member DB83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    Well it also installed in the 32bit version of vdubmod variant (ver. 1.6.19) without any extra work on my part ie just installed vdub and it was there.

    Beats me how you even managed to get it working in 1.9... given the exotic method you adopt. What works in one should always work in another unless they are both not 32 bit.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member vhelp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    New York
    Search Comp PM
    solved. success. huffy video's now opens in 1.9.11, 1.6.15 and qsvenc accepts and encodes it via avisynth scripts, and avisynth's avisource() now opens the video in vdub.

    Basically, I had to uninstall the codec and reinstall it through the mentioned method (and that video) and now I can continue with huffy videos. I guess the initial install of huffy codec became faulty or something. I suspect ffdshow had a part in the corruption of things because as it turns out, I never had the huffy correctly installed when I thought it was. it was still not installed but that ffdshow was opening the video in 1.9.11 all along, though it would not open in 1.6.15, probably due to some corruption I guess. So, when I uninstalled huffy, both vdub versions would open huffy videos, but only this time the Information would report that it opened via ffdshow codec (HFYU).

    So next, I wrote a bat file with the following in it and ran that via cmd (admin mode) and success. problem solved.

    Code:
    cd\windows\syswow64
    rundll32.exe setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 0 C:\codecs\huffy\huffyuv.inf
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    Why do ppl keep calling this the huffy codec? Who is huffy?
    Because it's powered by tiny computer gnomes riding Huffy bicycles.
    Haha, love that bike. But srsly, the name Huffyuv is from Huffman coding + YUV.

    I guess it's 'Huffy' for short, and because it's easier to pronounce (do you say Huff-yuv? Huff-ee-uv? Huff-Y-U-V?)
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    Why do ppl keep calling this the huffy codec? Who is huffy?
    Because it's powered by tiny computer gnomes riding Huffy bicycles.


    lololol, i was waiting for someone to post that!
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by raffriff42 View Post
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    Why do ppl keep calling this the huffy codec? Who is huffy?
    Because it's powered by tiny computer gnomes riding Huffy bicycles.
    Haha, love that bike. But srsly, the name Huffyuv is from Huffman coding + YUV.

    I guess it's 'Huffy' for short, and because it's easier to pronounce (do you say Huff-yuv? Huff-ee-uv? Huff-Y-U-V?)
    Thx Cpt Obvious
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by raffriff42 View Post
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    Why do ppl keep calling this the huffy codec? Who is huffy?
    Because it's powered by tiny computer gnomes riding Huffy bicycles.
    Haha, love that bike. But srsly, the name Huffyuv is from Huffman coding + YUV.

    I guess it's 'Huffy' for short, and because it's easier to pronounce (do you say Huff-yuv? Huff-ee-uv? Huff-Y-U-V?)
    To assist those with bicycle-on-the-brain, it should be rendered HuffYUV and pronounced huff-wye-you-vee.
    Tomorrow: authentic German pronunciation of Fraunhofer.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    To assist those with bicycle-on-the-brain, it should be rendered HuffYUV
    Everybody knows that -- except Ben Rudiak-Gould, who invented it:

    http://wayback.archive.org/web/20030823105830/http://neuron2.net/www.math.berkeley.edu...g/huffyuv.html
    I am now asking for donations to support my work on Huffyuv and other programs...
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Search PM
    Don't care if he called it Creamcheese. Capitalizing YUV provides an apparently needed educational moment.
    Quote Quote