VideoHelp Forum




+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2026
    Location
    East Coast U.S.A.
    Search Comp PM
    Looking for help getting ANY decent denoising/degraining working in AviSynth+.
    And please excuse that this is 50% rant (not at anyone here) and 50% plea for help.

    Soooo, I'm not really a newb when it comes to working with video/audio. Used Adobe stuff for a LONG time (until they finally p'd me off so much that I refuse to sub them any longer). And many other video and photography tools over the years. I work in tech and am comfortable with the fiddly, tweakable nature of many "tech" and software things. But I *am* fairly new to AviSynth+. Despite that I've picked up AviSynth+ scripting quickly and I'm able to do a lot with it. Helps that I have experience with other "scripting" and coding things.

    I've went down every rabbit-hole I can find, followed every tutorial I could find, and nothing but nothing but nothing has enabled me to use ANY of the commonly referred-to and recommended denoising functions/scripts out there on interwebs. Put all the files/plugins into the folders I'm told they go in. Accounted for x86 vs. 64bit (it's 2026, of course I'm using 64 bit AviSynth+). Downloaded every dependency I think I need when I get errors related to those. Basically done "all the things" that I can find/read that I'm to do. Only to get things like "Ok great, now you have that but you STILL need THIS." "Ok thanks for adding THIS but now you need THAT.", to paraphrase. To say this has been frustrating is an understatement. It shouldn't be this hard.

    I'm told such-and-such functions should already be included with certain installs of AviSynth+. Yet I get errors. Errors related to dependencies. Parameter errors with claims that such-and-such parameter doesn't exist, even when said parameters show up in AvsPmod's context bubbles when entering the values for a known plugin. (I think I know why that happens *sometimes* but not all the time.) So I don't know what I might be doing wrong, if anything. Maybe it's something stupid, but I've been pretty thorough in my R&D and troubleshooting. To no avail. Don't get me started on the state of Wiki's and documentation for some of this stuff. Despite a general knack for figuring things out this has stumped me.

    So my long-winded plea is simple: Can anyone help me out with procuring what ever it is I need to use any decent denoising and degraining solutions in AviSynth+ specifically? All the files that I need in whatever folder(s) I need to put them in? Anything like that?

    Because I'm either still missing something despite my best efforts or something's not working correctly. The de-noiser(s)/de-grainers don't have to work miracles, have CUDA acceleration or be best-in-class, although any of those things are welcome (RTX 3090 in the box). They just need to be adequate for my tasks at hand.

    May the Laser Horn Katana of Destoroyah in his final form spare the kind soul that can help me.

    "In the time you spent writing this you could have figured it out." I wish. Been at it for days now.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    PAL User
    Search Comp PM
    Ouch!

    What plugin are you trying to use and what is the error message?
    Quote Quote  
  3. AviSynth's error messages are usually pretty good at explaining what's wrong. Some things to keep in mind:

    There are 32bit and 64 bit versions of AviSynth+. I recommend you stick with the 64 bit version unless there's a particular old plugin you need that's only available in 32 bits.

    Though both 32 bit and 64 bit AviSynth+ can be installed on the same computer, 32 bit AviSynth requires 32 bit plugins and a 32 bit editor/encoder. 64 bit AviSynth requires 64 bit plugins and a 64 bit editor/encoder. Each system cannot see the other's plugins.

    If you invoke AviSynth+ with a 32 bit editor/encoder you will be using 32 bit AviSynth+.

    If you invoke AviSynth+ with a 64 bit editor/encoder you will be using 64 bit AviSynth+.

    64 bit AviSynth's plugins go in the c:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth+\plugins64+ folder.

    Try using AviInfo to check you AviSynth installation(s). It will show you which is installed and point out many errors.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads

Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!