VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I want to replace my vcr. My cable provider has a function that will allow me to auto tune with their guide but I have to set my vcr to record. I dont see this a big problem since I only have 10 channels (very basic cable with music and pay per view). I can schedule a capture on my computer using sceneanalyzer in avi but size is way to big and wireless transmitt to my tv. I could make a standalone computer using a mpeg2 capture card or I could just buy a tivo series 1 and using it as a vcr.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

If you want to make vcd/dvds go with a capture card on the pc. Very nice device.

Kevin
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have a pc in my office that I can make dvd's by capturing using firewire and digital pass thru on my camcorder. I caputure in avi using scenalyzer. I thought about geting a tv out video card and transmitting the avi wireless to the main tv in the living room. so my wife can watch her tv shows that i can record. The other approach is buying a mpeg2 capture card for this computer to save hard drive space and still transmitt wireless. Or I could make another pc that will be in the living room for a standalone dvr. It would be networked then I can use the my software in the office to burn to dvd.

Now if I make a standalone pc. Would it be cheaper to buy a series 1 tivo without subscription then build one.

What would be the pros and con, cost versus benefit the following approaches

1.caputure in avi and transmit wireless to tv in other room
    2.do the same thing as above but using a mpeg2 card to save space.
    3. make a dedicated pc with mpeg2 card to replace the vcr in the other room
    4. just go with a series 1 tivo without subscription.
    Quote Quote  
  4. do the first thing.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Look into ReplayTV, you can get a 40 G refurb for 29.99 with rebates, but you have to buy a subscription the same as TiVo.

The nice thing about ReplayTV is that is comes with a built in ethernet port for updates and networking with PC's and other ReplayTV's.

Software to download mpg2 to your PC and edit them is free.
    Quote Quote