VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. If I have a .mov file, how do I know if I should convert it to mpg or mpg2 in TMPGenc program? Which one will give me better results?

The file is 480x360.

VCD/MPEG1 = 352x240
    SVCD/MPEG2 = 480x480

Thanks,

Rod
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Are you going to burn to vcd or svcd/dvd or leave it on the computer??? That should be your primary concern.

The vcd will be lesser quality. The svcd will be better than vcd. If your destination is svcd make sure the player you will use can play it (all pcs with mpeg2 codec can, not all dvd players can).

It looks like svcd is the closest conversion.

Kevin
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. What is the bitrate of your source .MOV file? SVCDs support 2250 kbs max while VCDs support 1150 kbs max.

Encoding at a higher bit rate will not clear up any defects in your source.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, but using a as high bit rate as possible will make the encode as close to the original as possible, and not intruduce defects of its own.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  5. Where do I find the bitrate? The source file is a .mov file. I view it in Quicktime. In quicktime I don't recall it showing the bitrate. I can look again, but I thought it just had stuff like 480x360 mpeg-4 ect.

What spec am I looking for to tell me if I should convert to mpeg 1 or mpeg 2 in TMPGenc?

Then for step 2 if I converted to mpg 1 or mpg2, would determine authoring it as vcd or svcd resectively. Correct?

Rod
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Rod L
    Where do I find the bitrate? The source file is a .mov file. I view it in Quicktime. In quicktime I don't recall it showing the bitrate. I can look again, but I thought it just had stuff like 480x360 mpeg-4 ect.

What spec am I looking for to tell me if I should convert to mpeg 1 or mpeg 2 in TMPGenc?

Then for step 2 if I converted to mpg 1 or mpg2, would determine authoring it as vcd or svcd resectively. Correct?

Rod
    I'd do a SVCD (=mpeg2) from that, if the mov quality is any good. The source bit rate is totally irrelevant. If you do mpeg2, it's SVCD that's the target format, mpeg1 is VCD.

/Mats
    Quote Quote