VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I read somewhere that if both the source (the DVD player) and the output (e.g. projector, plasma screen etc) do a progressive conversion the image is degraded because the image data gets rounded up twice. I have just purchased a 27" LCD HDTV which has a Feroudja chip on board. So do I disable the progressive scan output from my DVD player? I have tried this and it does seem to give a sharper image and there are absolutely no trace of jaggies. With progressive scan enabled on the DVD player while the overall image quality is high, small details seem slightly softened. I have not seen this topic discussed and wondered if my technical assumptions are correct or if any one has a different take. In any case I will leave the progressive option disabled on the DVD player.

Thanks.

-Terry
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    try this site it gives you a lot of info on progresive hope it helps
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_4/dvd-benchmark-part-5-progressive-10-2000.html
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks, Sunderland. I've checked this site out before and it is very comprehensive, although it still doesn't answer my specific question: what if you have deinterlacing at the DVD end and at the output - should you disable one or the other. It seems pretty obvious that you should - but I'd like to see that in black and white. As I can't switch off progrssive scan on the TV I do so on the DVD player. Plus my DVD player does not have the high quality output of the Feroudja DCDi chip (it's only a Phillips DVP 642).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well when i use progressive on my toshiba tv and pioneer dvd the picture is a bit softer than when i dont use it. but you cant see the lines that go across the screen in progress than when your in normal mode.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Dear Capmaster,

Sorry, I'm a newbie and didn't read the rules.

As nobody else seems able to shed light on my querie, perhaps you can??

-Terry
    Quote Quote