VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am trying to find the best encoder to convert my avi files to mpg for my dvd player. I notie when I used the avi2mpg it took a long time. Also, with the TMPGEnc it had a estimate of abou 56 hours. What is with that.?? How long should a normal movie take to convert.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I happen to like TMPGEnc for VCD's and Cinema Craft for SVCD's. I would like to say most people agree with me, but everybody sees things differently as far as quality goes. TMPGEnc is free, Cinema Craft ain't. Your encode speed depends on how fast your computer is, how large the file you're encoding is, and generally the number of extras you select to increase your encoding quality. Example: 766 mhz Pentium III, 256 MB Ram, TMPGEnc set to encode VCD, 700 MB .avi file, minimal filters selected, about eight hours. 56 hours????? Are you waiting for TMPGEnc to lower its estimate? If after 1/2 an hour, it still says 56 hours, you probably have to get rid of that 386SX you're using
    Quote Quote  
  3. HI, thanks for the info,

My computer that I am using for encoding is a P3 733mHz, 128 ram, voodoo 3 3000 card..

I was just wondering why it does take soooooooooo long to encode a video. Also, should I just leave the computer be while it is encodng to keep from maybe making errors on the file.

Quote Quote  
  4. Hi,

It depends on your CPU, mem, what you are encodeing to and how long your movie are..

My P3 800 with 396 mb ram, 120 min movie,

VCD = 6 - 7 h
    SVCD = 9 - 10 h
    useing TMPEGEnc 2.5

/Stisse...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I'm not using any other Encoder except TMPGEnc 2.5 (I think it's faster than 2.02) I can encode a 30Mins show within 3-5 hours with my slow AMD400Mhz, 96Mb mem. Mwahaha real slow!
    ~~~ Noone can succeed only by himself ~~~
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    hey pilothaz... you said you used avi2mpg... how do you use it... im stuck cuz it gives me a syntax... what am i supposed to do with the syntax?
    uneek, is a unique way of spelling it.
    Quote Quote