VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Well How do you clean the RWs writing surface without damaging it?

They are clean when new but after use they seem to get dust on them. So far I just stand here and blow and blow until they seem clean. I thought of a soft brush but even it seems to leavefine scratches. It seems to me that scratches will cause record errors?

Since I use the RWs to capture in a standalone recorder and then rip in the computer to reauthor I hate to damage them and not be able to reuse them.

I fear the any surface damage wil cause problems as will trying to record through the dust.

Am I being properly cautious or am I being paranoid for nothing?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So far I just stand here and blow and blow until.....
    RRTFL
    yep its the cleanist, non abrasive way - just don't spit on em.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by TBoneit
    Well How do you clean the RWs writing surface without damaging it?

They are clean when new but after use they seem to get dust on them. So far I just stand here and blow and blow until they seem clean. I thought of a soft brush but even it seems to leavefine scratches. It seems to me that scratches will cause record errors?

Since I use the RWs to capture in a standalone recorder and then rip in the computer to reauthor I hate to damage them and not be able to reuse them.

I fear the any surface damage wil cause problems as will trying to record through the dust.

Thanks
    D00d,
    You got issues...

makntraks
    In the theater of the mind...
    It's always good to know where the exits are...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Always Microwave them 1 minute on each side first, together with a steel fork. I like the sparks, but maybe you can skip the fork if you are not a fan of fireworks. I used to use diesel for cleaning prior to that, but gasoline is better, it satisfy the pyromania part of me. I read another thread that recommended compressed air from himalaya, but thats not macho enough for me
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try some 'canned air'. You can get it at Staples, etc. Just keep the can upright to avoid liquid spray.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TBoneit
    Well How do you clean the RWs writing surface without damaging it?

Thanks
    Hello friend. Don't let them laugh at you. Check out my struggle with dirt and lint:

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219428

I use an eyeglasses cloth for my very dirty cds and dvds.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by redwudz
    Try some 'canned air'. You can get it at Staples, etc. Just keep the can upright to avoid liquid spray.
    The only canned air I've seen isn't air...

If I read the can carefully it's a flammable gas that is sprayed out. My guess would be something like Propane that boils off at room temperature and stays as a liquid in the bottom of the can at a fairly low pressure.

I thought of the canned "air" but since the computer is in the basement near a source of ignition (furnace & water heater).

Same problem with most aerosols I've seen these days, if you read the can carefully it's a flammable gas there too. Ever since Freon was banned for environmental issues. Maybe I can find a squeeze bulb air blower.

Oh well. Cheers & Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  8. Go to a camera store that sells darkroom supplies and buy a Static Master film brush. It has some kind of cartridge that contains a radioactive material that neutralizes the electrostatic charge on a surface (for film, but can be used on anything), otherwise the dust will just be moved another place since the electrostatic charge that was holding the dust is still there. The camel hair brush will not scratch the surface.
    If it works, don't fix it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks for the good info.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    "contains a radioactive material that neutralizes the electrostatic charge"

Great,

You guys are so paranoid about dust particles you'll fry your balls with a radioactive material to have a spick 'n span blank DVD.

Try blowing your can of air into the drive to blow all the accumulated crap out of it.

You put in a pristine disk, burn, eject, and HORRORS, I found a great big chunk of lint, the disk must be ruint, and I'm lucky I didn't catch the house on fire, as you can with a dryer filter that you don't clean.

How can I never, ever, have that happen, again?

None of you paranoids, or anal retentives, have said what the result is when you try to play them, you just KNOW they must be bad.

Play the damned things, if they're bad, come back and say so. Try in more than one machine. Your's just might not like the brand nor the methods you use.

Stop trying to get more anal retentives to worry about their media, and the non-cleanroom conditions in their homes. If some of you are kids trying to get the old man to quit smoking, good luck, you ain't gonna have any more luck than the comic strip character is having. Curtis, is it?

Cheers,

George
    Quote Quote  
  11. just try a piece of micro-fiber. you can find them at Linens and Things, Bed bath and beyond, any eyeglass place and probably even walmart. these are great to take dust off of anything.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use monitor screen wipes with scanner glass cleaner. Also removes dried-on egg, blood and grass stains!
    Quote Quote  
  13. hand held grinder..........
    How Big A Boy Are Ya?
    Quote Quote  
  14. gmatov,

The 'radioactive' material I mentioned (Polonium, I think) is no stronger than the 'radioactive' material they use in making porcelain crowns (dental) for irridescence (Radium, I think, for longer life), it will not fry anything, you will get far more radiation by walking to your car in bright sunlight.

As for cleaning DVD writing surfaces, I personally use windex and a cotton rag. I use the brush for film, before printing, and sometimes on vinyl phonograph records to get dust out of the grooves. I merely suggested this as a 'no-scratch' method of removing charged particles which is common with plastics.

If you are that concerned about radiation, use de-ionized water (from your local chemical supply house).
    If it works, don't fix it.
    Quote Quote