VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tokyo - Sony announced its upcoming digital video recorder (DVR) "type X" at a press conference in Tokyo eralier this week. The DVR will offer seven TV tuners as well as 1 TByte storage capacity.

Marketed through its Vaio brand, Sony said that it will demonstrate the type X from may 14 to 16 at the "Do VAIO World 2004" in Odaiba, Japan. According to the company, final specifications of the device which will become available in Q4 in Japan, but the device will integrate seven TV tuners which will allow users to record seven channels at the same time.

A massive capacity of one TByte should provide enough space for one week of recording of seven channels, the company said. According to sources close to Sony, the company will use four 250 GByte harddrives to reach the 1 TeraByte mark. The technical foundation of the type X are components found in a typical PC, which allow the device to wirelessly connect to a keyboard, mouse, a remote controller or a printer.

The device records the Japanese version of DVB-T and is rumored to be HDTV capable. Output is possible to regular TVs and projections TVs as well as flat panel screens using D4 output.

Sony has not talked about worldwide availability, which indicates that we will not see the type X for quite a while outside of Japan. Pricing also has not been revealed yet. But it is no secret that the device will put a significantly bigger dent in your budget than the current top-of-the-line Replay TV's ($799, 320 GByte) and Tivo's ($349, 140 GByte).
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Who's this intended for? People planning to go into a coma for a year and need all their favorite shows taped until they come out of it?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One terabyte would be more than enough to store uncompressed video at the same resolution as 70mm film. Or so my rough calculations tell me.
    "It's getting to the point now when I'm with you, I no longer want to have something stuck in my eye..."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One terabyte?! That's a shitload of boobie flicks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by teegee420
    One terabyte?! That's a shitload of boobie flicks.
    Yeah - with the right compression a 25 pack of these could store my entire collection

Buddha says that, while he may show you the way, only you can truly save yourself, proving once and for all that he's a lazy, fat bastard.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What store sells 25 packs of DVRs?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Mr. Orange Pants
    www.DVRWorld.com

Buddha says that, while he may show you the way, only you can truly save yourself, proving once and for all that he's a lazy, fat bastard.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any that wants my business? Or the business of anyone who doesn't feel like paying $4-5 per disc?
    "It's getting to the point now when I'm with you, I no longer want to have something stuck in my eye..."
    Quote Quote  
  9. For the current price of big and I do mean BIG HD would proabbly be around 1500 to maybe 2000.

You can grab 160 for around 60 to 120. Even 200 are under 200. So a bank of drive being feed from a bank of turners would not be that much.

My only queston is there enough stuff on tv you would want to record that need that much storage? The 1 TB makes sense for HDTV stuff and not regular TV.

Now if you could use it to store data as in a server WOW!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, so am I missing something or are people being fools and confusing DVR with DVDRs?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Where is your link to that article?

You can chain FW drives to get a few Tbytes...
    Quote Quote  
  12. One terabyte would be more than enough to store uncompressed video at the same resolution as 70mm film. Or so my rough calculations tell me.
    really? How did you come to that conclusion, I'm curious? By my rough calculations one frame of 70mm film at full rez uncompressed would be about 25 megs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by VCDHunter
    Originally Posted by Mr. Orange Pants
    www.DVRWorld.com
    Can I steal your Atari logo for myself?

LS

PS I own:

400/800/600XL/800XL
    520ST/1040ST / Current ARANYM user.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Umm I couldnt get to www.dvrworld.com

Did I miss something?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by LSchafroth
    Originally Posted by VCDHunter
    Originally Posted by Mr. Orange Pants
    www.DVRWorld.com
    Can I steal your Atari logo for myself?

LS

PS I own:

400/800/600XL/800XL
    520ST/1040ST / Current ARANYM user.
    Well you can't steal mine (I've only had it about half an hour) but I am more than happy for you to get your own Atari logo, hell why don't you get a negative of mine then we can be "Atari Buddies"

You still have a 520ST ? Nice - 360k or 720k floppy ? I had to bin mine a few years back

Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by baritony
    Umm I couldnt get to www.dvrworld.com

Did I miss something?
    Yes my apologies - I was taking the piss.

Quote Quote  
  17. Atari Falcon 030 16 mhz CPU/32 mhz DSP, still use it for audio processing with Cubase.

Now if I can only find a way to interface a DVD burner in my Falcon. (yea right)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Skynet107
    Atari Falcon 030 16 mhz CPU/32 mhz DSP, still use it for audio processing with Cubase.

Now if I can only find a way to interface a DVD burner in my Falcon. (yea right)
    You should get the CT60 for the Falcon. Makes it MUCH faster. They have teh ability to play DVDs on the Falcons and even do 5.1 audio, but as far as I know they aren't up to burning anything.

LS
    Quote Quote  
  19. Any idea where I can get a CT60?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You ladies should get together for a date of pizza and Combat, maybe with a ritualistic burning of an ET cartridge afterwards.
    Quote Quote  
  21. What is DVR and how do u use it.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVR=digital video recorder, like a TiVo. You use it with a remote control. Pretty simple to use and the amazing thing about this announcement is that with 1 terabyte of storage space, you'd be able to record everything and never run out of space.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Guys think about it, of course you can use this much for normal TV. Cap all of your favorite shows during the regular season, then just offload them during the repeats.

Of course with all the crapality shows on now it really only needs 3 tuners not 7.. If I wanted to watch s**t I'd go outside and look at my dog's latest pile..

Now if they can just make it smart enough to cap the whole year of SoapTalk but only keep the eps where Lisa Rinna's boobs are bouncing around then it'll be worth the money.

Alan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Skynet107
    Any idea where I can get a CT60?
    Try here. http://www.czuba-tech.com/CT60/english/overview.htm

This is the guy who designed and is building them.
    It;s kinda of pricey, but it has to be since he not producing in high volume and does it on the side. He is very diligent at fixing bugs and stability issues. Depends on how much $$ you want to spend to keep your Atari up to date.

LS

PS Browse here once in a while.http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=comp.sys.atari.st
    Quote Quote  
  25. LSchafroth thanks for the link.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "Type X" huh? This William Gibson fetish has gotta stop!
    Your miserable life is not worth the reversal of a Custer decision.
    Quote Quote