VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I just read this today. It's got some interesting data, especially the part about recordable DVDs retaining data longer than commercial stamped DVDs ....because of the aluminum oxidizing. It's worth reading if you keep DVDs for a long time:

http://www.gcn.com/23_5/news/25166-1.html
    Quote Quote  
  2. Some of this has been discussed before (do a forum search), basically the truth is that no one really knows. Esp for DVDR discs. The media you use, how you store it and how you handle it just makes to big of a difference. I've got 1x princo discs that are over 3years old and they work fine. Other people state that princo media falls apart after a few months. So we don't really know.

Like everyone else here I've had CDRs (and before that 3.5" floppies) just go bad for no reason. It seems to happen more with x(S)VCDs than data discs (MODE2 vs MODE1 maybe, I don't know).

But thanks for the link it's a good read.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Oops! I really should have posted this in the existing DVD life thread:

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=211514&highlight=

I hope the moderators go easy on me
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps, unless your talking about Matrix or Princo, my only real batch of Matrix media just stopped reading one a few disc the other day. Had a few sitting around still... check. They give power calibration errors unless I try to burn at 1x now. lol.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Flaystus
    Perhaps, unless your talking about Matrix or Princo, my only real batch of Matrix media just stopped reading one a few disc the other day. Had a few sitting around still... check. They give power calibration errors unless I try to burn at 1x now. lol.
    I'm assuming you ruled out other more obvious causes like a dirty lens in the burner? It's amazing how many people have burning problems because they haven't cleaned their lens.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh yes, quite ruled out. Its the media.
    Quote Quote