VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    This may be simple, but I can't figure it out. I run a dual boot system with Win98SE on one partition and Win2000Pro on the other.

My DVD software (PowerDVD) has always worked in both systems perfectly. Now when I try to start it in 2000, it says that it doesn't support the screen resolution. It suggests reducing the resolution to 800x600 and setting frequency to 75hZ. None of that helps, and shouldn't be necessary.

I reloaded PowerDVD, tried a different version, then loaded WinDVD4.0. WinDVD gives the error message "Create overlay failed. Please lower screen resolution."

The only thing I can think that I changed, is loading and running Camtasia to capture some video sequences. Any clue on how to get overlay to work again? TIA
    Quote Quote  
  2. Let me take a guess. I would first run dxdiag from the start/run menu then test the dx components. After that I would perhaps suspect the ASPI layer is messed up so I would run "Force ASPI" to fix that. You can download that here.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/frcaspi.cfm
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Upgrade to latest video driver also.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the ideas.

I ran dxdiag and saw no problems. I didn't mess with ASPI as I was trying to play media files on the drive not a DVD.

The final answer was I had turned hardware acceleration down. After returning that, everything was fine.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To EricB

How/where did you "turned hardware acceleration down" ?

Thanks!

My solution was run DXDIAG, Display: DirectDraw Acceleration = Enabled, Direct3D Acc. = Enabled, AGP = Enabled.
    Device : S3 Graphics Savage/IX IBM - Think Pad T20
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    miguelos_net -

It's in the display adapter settings. Right-click the desktop > Display Properties > Settings > Advanced > Troubleshoot.

I had turned it down to capture some streaming video and forgot about it later!
    Quote Quote