VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i am a graphic designer just getting into the video/dvd world. i have a the sharp camera listed above and it's about 2 years old. when trying to transfer video to my computer via firewire, there is intermittent artifacts in the video, not only on the computer as i'm transfering but also in the viewfinder of the camcorder itself. i have tried several different tapes (and brands) and i'm still getting those darn squares in the playback. they never occur in the same place. i freelance at a video production studio and one of the techs suggested the camcorder just needed a good cleaning. so i bought one of those cleaning cassettes, but the problem isn't fixed. i definately think the error is with the camcorder, not my computer, because it happens whether the camcorder is connected to the computer of not. i'd love to just trash this camcorder (it's a piece of crap) but i really don't have the funds to buy a new one right now. any suggestions? thanx!

ps.. if "artifact" isn't the correct term, forgive me. this stuff is all new to me.
    Quote Quote  
  2. This camcorder is well known for doing this. A cleaning tape would not do the job. You need to get yourself a bottle of rubbing alcohol and bunch of Q tips. Open the tape compartment and wipe off the rounded play head pretty aggressively from every angle you can get to it.

In the future, use just one brand of tape. Do not mix tape brand. Each brand has its own tape lubricant and they smear on the play head, even though that is not visible to the naked eye.
    Quote Quote  
  3. PS - if that doesn't work, get a blank tape. Let it play from start to end a couple of times.
    Quote Quote  
  4. thank you SO MUCH for your reply.

i regret every buying the stupid camcorder but it seemed like a pretty good deal (and it got good reviews) at the time. but i have to make it work for now if i can.

thanks again.
    Quote Quote