VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I bought a Pan. DMR-E60 DVD-RAM recorder/player so that I could burn DVD-RAM discs on my PC and test them out on my TV without going through many DVD-R's. I am realizing that the Pan. won't recognize DVD-RAM discs unless they are formatted with the Pan. recorder.

Everytime I burn a DVD on the pc, the Pan. won't recognize it and wants to initialize it first. I always want to 'test' my DVD's before I start burning finalized DVD-R's, so is there some sort of app. that will burn DVD video on the PC and then be recognized in the Pan. player???
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    -DarthMarklar

Can your PC burner burn DVD-RW disks?

My Panasonic HS2 will play DVD-RW disks, that is how I test my burns.

Tearren
    Quote Quote  
  3. No, I can't burn RW's. My burner is one of the older burners that only burns RAM discs and my old DVD player doesn't support RW's so I figured I'd just buy the RAM player instead of having to replace my DVD player and DVD burner with a RW.

Oh well, live and learn
    My Panasonic HS2 will play DVD-RW disks, that is how I test my burns.
    Really? According to Pannys site, they only support -R and -RAM. Maybe mine does too? Although, it'd be an expensive investment to buy a RW burner only to find out they are incompatible.

If anyone can confirm -RW's playing successfully on a DMR-E60, I'd appreciate it very much.
    Quote Quote  
  4. are you using panasonic media? why dont' you format it on the panasonic & then put it in the pc?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hello.

The Panny DVD recorders dont support dvd video(Ie a Video TS folder with IFO and VOB files inside) on a DVD-RAM disc. I know..Ive tried. To play a DVD RAM disc it has to be in the IFO/VRO format not VOB (this is how the panasonic recorders record to the RAM discs)

And NO...Ive no idea how you record to the VRO format ! Although Ive noticed that new PowerDVD can play this format.
    Quote Quote  
  6. ..and no..RWs dont play..well not in my DMRE30 anyway
    Quote Quote  
  7. why dont' you format it on the panasonic & then put it in the pc?
    because the PC won't burn the disc the way the Pansonic player formats it. I never realized this before I bought the player, but it doesn't create the RAM disc like a regular DVD RAM burner does. It creates it in it's own format (i.e it uses VRO files instead of VOB) which is incompatible with the way my PC burner works.

Actually, I think the main reason why the PC (when burning RAM discs) isn't recognized by the Panasonic player is because the discs aren't "Finalized".

EDIT: I see andydd explained exactly why the 2 burners are incompatible.
    Ive no idea how you record to the VRO format
    Yeah, I can't seem to find any answer to that either
    RWs dont play..well not in my DMRE30
    How old is the E30? I wonder if the new E60 would be compatible since RW is fairly new and maybe they put out the E30 before RW popularity? I know, I'm grasping at straws... , but hopefully there's a light at the end of this tunnel.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DarthMarklar wrote:

Really? According to Pannys site,...
    Yes, Really. I am using Memorex DVD-RW 2x media, a 3 pack from CompUSA.

I had read that other peoples HS2's from another site support DVD-RW, that is why I gave it a try. I am just happy it works.

If I was in your situation, I would just make DVD-R's with quality media, and if I started getting a lot of coasters, I would then worry about it.

In my experience burning DVD's isn't the same as making VCD's or SVCD's and having to test them on a CD-RW before making a final back-up. Now, I hardly ever test a backup to DVD-RW. I just burn straight to DVD-R.

Good Luck,
    Tearren
    Quote Quote  
  9. I would just make DVD-R's with quality media, and if I started getting a lot of coasters
    Actually it has nothing to do with bad burns. A lot of the videos I do go through various phases and I like to see what each phase looks (and sounds) like through my HT system before adding more material.

With the cost of DVD media coming down, I guess it isn't too bad to have a few bad burns, but when DVD-R's were $10/each, it was quite difficult going through 5 'tests' before I finally got it done right.
    I had read that other peoples HS2's from another site support DVD-RW
    That's encouraging news, but I'm still a bit cautious about buying a DVD-RW burner. The HS2 might be a different beast than the E series.

I guess I'll just have to see if anyone I know has a DVD-RW I can test out.
    Quote Quote  
  10. maybe nero 6 might solve your problem. You need video software that will burn in panasonic compatible mode (vro) and the nero is very new. I think they do a trial, so why not give ot a try. Or search the net for sftware or contact Panasonic.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I tried finding PC software that works with the Pansonic format and came up with zilch. I'll look into Nero - Thanks for the link
    Quote Quote