VideoHelp Forum




+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 31
  1. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2026
    Location
    France
    Search PM
    Sujet : Need help decoding an old Smith Micro "VideoLink Mail" .SMV webcam video (1990s)
    Hi everyone,
    I have an old webcam video recorded with Smith Micro VideoLink Mail software (probably late 1990s), saved as a .smv file. The software is long discontinued and I can't find a working copy or player.
    What I've found so far:
    The file starts with embedded resource strings referencing "VideoLink Mail" (error messages, etc.)
    FFmpeg detects a raw H.263 video stream inside (176x144, ~25fps) starting a few KB into the file
    Extracting and decoding that stream with FFmpeg produces heavily corrupted/garbled frames — mostly colored noise blocks, not a real image
    It's possible the video is interleaved with audio or extra framing bytes I'm not accounting for
    Does anyone recognize this format, have a working copy of VideoLink Mail (Windows 98/XP era), or know how the container structures the H.263 payload? Any pointers appreciated — happy to share a hex dump or the file itself if useful.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can try clever FFmpeg-GUI.
    It can handle smv video and convert it to modern avc/hevc mp4, mov, mkv aso.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2026
    Location
    France
    Search PM
    Thanks for your answer but Unfortunately,i am a beginner and the software is too complicated to use; I can't get it to work.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Share the original file.
    You will need to put it in a .zip file to post it in this forum.
    7 zip is a good software for creating a .zip file.
    Use zip for the format & Store for the compression level the default should work for the rest .
    I just need to right click on the file & select 7 zip & "add to archive'
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    PAL User
    Search Comp PM
    Try attaching it as is; it might work (SMV isn't listed in approved attachments but...)

    If it doesn't, just change the extension to exe or similar, then we can change it back.

    No need for 7zip, in Windows Explorer, right-click ("more options" if necessary) and towards the bottom choose "Send to >Compressed (zipped) folder".

    Or put it up on Google Drive or similar.
    Quote Quote  
  6. @ Alwyn ,
    I will give the extension change a try next time I have a file with an odd extension.
    The Windows compression to zip is OK but it does slightly compress a file.
    Or did on a video file I used it on.
    7zip Store mode does not compress.
    I only use Google Drive or similar if the file is too large to post.That is rare.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2026
    Location
    France
    Search PM
    I'm trying with a Drive link because I couldn't even manage to upload the file—that shows you what my skill level is :
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tEIQapuxRN2xKpCqFRev9vvNURdUPtoU/view?usp=sharing
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    PAL User
    Search Comp PM
    @bigerniel, that's great, hopefully somebody will be able to work out how to open/convert it for you.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I did not have any success with this file.
    I opened it in VLC but only saw a couple of artifacts.

    I found a software that is supposed to open a .smv file but it is payware.
    I have never used it & the trial would not open a .smv.

    FileMagic is the software.
    Other than the trail that failed I have never used it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2026
    Location
    France
    Search PM
    Thank you for your analysis, but I no longer have the original Video Link Mail software.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    I tried the script from here:
    https://github.com/lenatron67/SMV-Conversion-Utility

    It appears to have successfully converted the file.
    Image Attached Files
    PB
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2026
    Location
    France
    Search PM
    Thank you very much.
    You are going to make a family very, very, very happy.
    I'll try to figure out how to do it, since I have about thirty of them.
    Right now, I don't understand a thing...
    Quote Quote  
  13. @ autodidact ,
    I admit I do not know how to use the the SMV-Conversion-Utility in the link you posted.
    I'm not even sure I downloaded it correctly.

    From his post I believe bigerniel even understands it less.

    So for those of us not nearly as tech advanced as I know you are .
    Please post some good instructions for downloading & Using the SMV-Conversion-Utility.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Hi. Someone reached out to me via email (thank you whoever it was) and pointed me at this forum. I am the person who wrote the utility (or instructed Claude more like ). Fair point on how accessible it is to a non technical audience. I initially wrote it as (similar to OP) I had a bunch of 25+ year old files that my family couldnt access. I posted it to github more in case someone found it useful than actually thinking they would. Give me over the weekend to see if I can host it to a website that I will share here. Cant guarantee that the audio will sync perfectly (that was a massive pain in the original project) - but I can probably get something up and working. The other alternative would be an exe to run a user interface - but then you might run in to all sorts of 'are you sure you want to do this' windows warnings. And I dont even have a mac to start testing that side. Anyway. Thanks again to whoever sent me the message. And give me a few days to figure out the best approach.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I did not send the email but maybe I should have.
    I suspect it was autodidact but apparently he already understood how to use the program.
    So it may have been the OP bigerniel.
    I do not have any .smv files except the one in this post.
    I was curious to see if I could convert it.
    I found none of the programs I have could do this.

    autodidact has a couple of topics this forum where he does updates for FFMPEG for Windows 7 & older OSs & mkvtoolnix as well.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I suspect your correct. @autodidact - PM or email me about adding to ffmpeg - that would be very cool!
    Never let perfect get in the way of progress. a basic site wasnt too complicated
    https://lenatron67.github.io/SMV-Conversion-Utility/

    @bigerniel - please try this. Its hopefully easy to navigate. All processing is done on the browser and I dont store anything. I have tested this with a few of my original files and they work fine. Chrome/Firefox/Edge all work on windows. I dont have a mac so havent tested that. Because its on the browser it uses your PC to process. I havent tested on anything older than a few years. Hopefully its fine on older hardware, albeit it will be slow.

    If you have any issues or some of your files dont convert correctly - let me know here or in github. I'd be happy to have a look!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    @lenatron,
    I don't know who reached out to you but thank you for helping the OP.

    @cholla,
    If you want to try running it directly on your system, install Python 3 if you don't already have it. More recent versions are
    not Windows 7 compatible anymore. It looks like 3.8.10 was the last to officially support it.
    https://www.python.org/downloads/windows/

    Download the smv2mp4.py script and the requirements.txt file.
    https://github.com/lenatron67/SMV-Conversion-Utility

    Then open a comand prompt and navigate to the location of the two downloaded files and first execute the following:
    Code:
    py -m pip install -r requirements.txt
    Then try a conversion:
    Code:
    py smv2mp4.py input.smv [output.mp4]
    Note that "py" is the python launcher name but if python.exe is in your PATH you could type "python" instead.
    PB
    Quote Quote  
  18. @ autodidact,
    I tried.
    I installed python 3.8.10 this went OK.

    This is the Error I get:
    "ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement av==17.1.0 (from versions: 0.1.0, 0.2.0, 0.2.1, 0.2.2, 0.2.3, 0.2.4, 0.3.0, 0.3.1, 0.3.2, 0.3.3, 0.4.0, 0.4.1, 0.5.0, 0.5.1, 0.5.2, 0.5.3, 6.0.0, 6.1.0, 6.1.2, 6.2.0, 7.0.0, 7.0.1, 8.0.0, 8.0.1, 8.0.2, 8.0.3, 8.1.0, 9.0.0, 9.0.1, 9.0.2,
    9.1.0, 9.1.1, 9.2.0, 10.0.0, 11.0.0, 12.0.0, 12.1.0, 12.2.0, 12.3.0)
    ERROR: No matching distribution found for av==17.1.0"

    Windows 7 32-bit cannot use av==17.1.0.
    av==17.1.0 in in the requirements.txt file
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by cholla View Post
    "ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement av==17.1.0 (from versions:... 12.3.0)
    ERROR: No matching distribution found for av==17.1.0"
    Windows 7 32-bit cannot use av==17.1.0.
    av==17.1.0 in in the requirements.txt file
    Try with 12.3.0
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    PAL User
    Search Comp PM
    Got it working.

    Tip: do not include the square brackets [ ] around the "output.mp4" in the script.

    How do we increase the bitrate? It's only 187kb/sec with that script.

    And also, get it to output constant frame rate?
    Last edited by Alwyn; 3rd Oct 2026 at 05:07.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    PAL User
    Search Comp PM
    Don't worry about setting up the Python stuff, just use Lenatron's web converter.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Don't worry about setting up the Python stuff, just use Lenatron's web converter.
    Lenatron's web converter did not work for me.
    Maybe this will help Lenatron's figure out the problem.
    I got this Error message:
    4pat's.smv

    Sorry — something went wrong while converting this video. Please reload the page and try again. If it keeps happening, the computer may not have enough free memory; closing other programs can help.
    Technical details

    RuntimeError: Aborted(CompileError: wasm validation error: at offset 157947: v128 not enabled). Build with -sASSERTIONS for more info.
    I treid ProWo's suggestion of "Try with 12.3.0" but it still fails with Errors.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    PAL User
    Search Comp PM
    @Cholla, you need to come to the Dark Side... Win 11 64bit.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2026
    Location
    France
    Search PM
    Hello
    J'écris en Français pour tous vous remercier,
    Lenatron, j'ai réussi avec ton lien : https://lenatron67.github.io/SMV-Conversion-Utility/
    Je vais pouvoir regarder tout ça avec émotion,
    Merci encore et bonne continuation !
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    @Cholla, you need to come to the Dark Side... Win 11 64bit.
    I will stay on the Ashla for now.

    No luck & I tried 4 different browsers.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by bigerniel View Post
    Hello
    J'écris en Français pour tous vous remercier,
    Lenatron, j'ai réussi avec ton lien : https://lenatron67.github.io/SMV-Conversion-Utility/
    Je vais pouvoir regarder tout ça avec émotion,
    Merci encore et bonne continuation !
    vous êtes le bienvenu!
    So happy this worked. Enjoy the trip down memory lane.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by cholla View Post
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Don't worry about setting up the Python stuff, just use Lenatron's web converter.
    Lenatron's web converter did not work for me.
    Maybe this will help Lenatron's figure out the problem.
    I got this Error message:
    4pat's.smv

    Sorry — something went wrong while converting this video. Please reload the page and try again. If it keeps happening, the computer may not have enough free memory; closing other programs can help.
    Technical details

    RuntimeError: Aborted(CompileError: wasm validation error: at offset 157947: v128 not enabled). Build with -sASSERTIONS for more info.
    I treid ProWo's suggestion of "Try with 12.3.0" but it still fails with Errors.
    I do want to try and fix this. Can you let me know a few details please.
    1. Do you know what processor you are using? From Win 7 recollection It should be somewhere in computer properties on control panel (or a quick search on how should get you there)
    2. Your browser version - e.g. if its firefox - what version of firefox.

    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  28. @cholla - give it a go again. The issue was the processor - the code claude wrote assumed that processor would support some fancy math module - which the AMD above just missed out on. 'I' re-wrote it so it should work on an older PC now. It should be live - all you need to do is reload the page.
    Quote Quote  
  29. @ lenatron,
    The converter on your site worked like a charm. Quick & easy.
    Thanks for the extra effort.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!