Well, what it says above. When I try to encode video from Adobe Premiere via the dmfs plugin, I specify the file to be run when the frameserver starts, but I just get the error: "Unable to execute this command. Please check and try again." The frustrating bit is, this worked fine for me for a long time, until I had to nuke/pave/install Windows 11 (yeah, thanks Adobe.), but now I just can't get it to run my script (or anything, really).
I'm trying to execute a PowerShell script that feeds the video through ffmpeg and uploads it via youtube uploader, and I just can't make it happy enough to run. Both the specified pwsh and script exist (checked from command line). Get-ExecutionPolicy is RemoteSigned. Generally, it runs fine in a terminal:
pwsh "C:\Users\<me>\Documents\Scripts\frameserver-encoding.ps1"
Trying to specify the whole path also works, which in my install is:
"C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.PowerShell_7.6.6.0_x64 __8wekyb3d8bbwe\pwsh.exe" -File "C:\Users\<me>\Documents\Scripts\frameserver-encoding.ps1"
The Windows run dialog wanted an extra set of nested quotes, a la:
""C:\Program Files\<path>\pwsh.exe" -File "C:\Users\<me,scripts>\frameserver-encoding.ps1""
Just for kicks, I tried feeding FrameServer just the pwsh.exe, which also doesn't work (?!). So clearly, I'm missing something important. Can someone please point out what I'm doing wrong? :)
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3
-
Last edited by decoherent; 5th Oct 2026 at 13:26. Reason: Adding "solved" tag for future search results.
-
The WindowsApps path is the problem, and pwsh.exe failing on its own is the giveaway. That build is the Microsoft Store package of PowerShell 7. Everything under C:\Program Files\WindowsApps is locked down, and other programs generally can't launch a packaged exe by its real path there, even though your terminal and the Run box can start it through the app alias. Two ways round it:
1. Install the regular build instead, either the MSI from the PowerShell GitHub releases page or winget install --id Microsoft.PowerShell --source winget. That puts it at C:\Program Files\PowerShell\7\pwsh.exe, which any program can run. Then give FrameServer:
"C:\Program Files\PowerShell\7\pwsh.exe" -File "C:\Users\<you>\Documents\Scripts\frameserver-encoding.ps1"
2. Or keep the Store build and point at its alias instead of the package folder: C:\Users\<you>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps \pwsh.exe (spell the path out in case the field doesn't expand %LOCALAPPDATA%).
If it still balks, put that one line in a .cmd file and give FrameServer the .cmd. Starting the line with cmd /k keeps the window open so you can read whatever error pwsh throws. -
It's funny, I was coming here all proud of myself for figuring it out, and I could just have waited a few hours :)
Being able to launch cmd was surprising, and I actually could use that to bootstrap the script, but that was ugly.
The only other change I made (besides re-installing PowerShell for all users, as you point out) was to add C:\Program Files\PowerShell\7 to PATH, so I can just run "pwsh.exe C:\<whatever my script>". It does seem to be that it was a bit flaky with quotation marks, so I made sure to have a path for the script that didn't need anything.
Thanks for the help, wish I'd seen it earlier! :)Last edited by decoherent; 5th Oct 2026 at 13:42.
Similar Threads
-
downloading stops, when starts on 0.ts
By diginoob in forum Video Streaming DownloadingReplies: 2Last Post: 27th Sep 2025, 13:36 -
Player that remembers last playback position and starts from it.
By Citydwelleer in forum Software PlayingReplies: 1Last Post: 9th Feb 2025, 10:06 -
VHS tape suddenly starts playing very fast?
By Orionnn in forum Newbie / General discussionsReplies: 0Last Post: 18th Nov 2023, 02:45 -
Starts too soon, but ends OK
By queensoft in forum SubtitleReplies: 29Last Post: 8th Aug 2023, 06:43 -
Looking for a PC to run elgato
By jonbey in forum Newbie / General discussionsReplies: 13Last Post: 17th Nov 2021, 10:26


Quote