VideoHelp Forum




+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. Just wondering, has PBS changed something with their subtitles recently?
    I'm not a frequent user but I'm pretty sure I've managed to download subtitles before, using the traditional method
    (Developer Tools in Chrome, search for .vtt files)

    Let's take this video
    https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/documentary/trumps-comeback/

    It gives me two .vtt files
    https://ga.pbs-video.pbs.org/videos/frontline/8e04d2ca-0265-4308-94e2-1ee6edb18fb3/200...s_622_0_en.vtt

    This is for the trailer that is somehow part of this page.

    And the second is
    https://ga.pbs-video.pbs.org/trick_play/frontline/8e04d2ca-0265-4308-94e2-1ee6edb18fb3...trick_play.vtt

    This has timecodes only but no text.
    Why such a file name? Are they trying to use tricks to hide the subtitle file, and openly stating this with the name?

    Or what am I doing wrong to get a .vtt file for the whole video, not just the trailer?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Feels Good Man 2nHxWW6GkN1l916N3ayz8HQoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2024
    Location
    Pepe Island
    Search Comp PM
    yt-dlp + stream detector addon

    Code:
    yt-dlp "https://ga.pbs-video.pbs.org/videos/frontline/8e04d2ca-0265-4308-94e2-1ee6edb18fb3/2000460850/hd-16x9-mezzanine-1080p/00004311_coveop1a_v002-AABR-AVC_622.m3u8" --write-sub --skip-download
    Your subtitle
    https://www.swisstransfer.com/d/47d567cc-464f-4e84-b12e-db3ff1abb382
    --[----->+<]>.++++++++++++.---.--------.
    [*drm mass downloader: widefrog*]~~~~~~~~~~~[*how to make your own mass downloader: guide*]
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you - so it's officially not as easy anymore as those guides from a few years back show? You not only need yt-dlp but also another add-on to do it?
    Just looking for a .vtt file or somehow using a general video link (another guide for PBS from years ago) no longer works, ever?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Feels Good Man 2nHxWW6GkN1l916N3ayz8HQoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2024
    Location
    Pepe Island
    Search Comp PM
    No idea. I just gave you the first solution I found.

    Edit: turns out you can just use yt-dlp with the original url
    Code:
    yt-dlp "https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/documentary/trumps-comeback/" --write-subs --skip-download
    Last edited by 2nHxWW6GkN1l916N3ayz8HQoi; 29th Jan 2025 at 02:26.
    --[----->+<]>.++++++++++++.---.--------.
    [*drm mass downloader: widefrog*]~~~~~~~~~~~[*how to make your own mass downloader: guide*]
    Quote Quote  
  5. Can someone help with this one?
    https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/documentary/the-war-cabinet/

    If I change my VPN to US, I can view the video and see the subtitles but downloading the subtitles with yt-dlp just doesn't work. Any other global video that doesn't need VPN? Works perfectly. But using VPN seems to confuse my yt-dlp hopelessly, I tried some tips online but nothing worked.

    Can someone in US download the subtitles and put them here? Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  6. When a US VPN makes yt-dlp fail on PBS, it is usually the site serving a different player or blocking the session, not the subtitle format itself. Try without the VPN first if you are already in-region, or with a clean US exit that does not share a datacenter IP. Useful flags: yt-dlp --write-subs --write-auto-subs --sub-langs "en.*" --skip-download URL to pull only subs, and --cookies-from-browser chrome if the page only unlocks after a browser login. If yt-dlp still cannot see an m3u8, open DevTools on the episode page, Network filter for vtt or m3u8, and download the .vtt directly, then convert with Subtitle Edit or ffmpeg -i file.vtt file.srt. Avoid random third-party PBS rip sites; the official player stream plus cookies is the reliable route.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yes, I'm guessing it's related to VPN. Frontline has a bunch of videos side by side. Half of them can be seen globally. I can open any of them and use yt-dlp to download subtitles without a single isssue.
    A few of them, like the War Cabinet video, are geo-blocked to US only. I've tried using a few different US-based VPNs and while I can see the video and subtitles without issues, yt-dlp fails to download subtitles. I have tried a few of the tips (all that about cookies, outside players etc) but nothing works.
    Using DevTools and Network no longer works for PBS, you only get some textless sprite files that way but not the normal subtitle file.

    Basically I might manage to download something if I spend a few more hours at it, switching VPNs and trying various commands in yt-dlp,
    but just wondering if a US-based user using the command
    yt-dlp --write-subs --skip-download "https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/documentary/the-war-cabinet/"
    can perhaps download the subtitles in 5 seconds?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by beejaykas View Post
    Can someone help with this one?
    https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/documentary/the-war-cabinet/

    If I change my VPN to US, I can view the video and see the subtitles but downloading the subtitles with yt-dlp just doesn't work. Any other global video that doesn't need VPN? Works perfectly. But using VPN seems to confuse my yt-dlp hopelessly, I tried some tips online but nothing worked.

    Can someone in US download the subtitles and put them here? Thank you!

    Code:
    N_m3u8DL-RE "https://ga.pbs-video.pbs.org/p/-/sid/1d80dde65a6c4eb4af769e062adfeaf8/videos/frontline/a39fb453-c728-41fa-8536-b9ba9f5764cb/2000524702/hd-16x9-mezzanine-1080p/00004501-AABR-AVC_726.m3u8"  --header "User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/153.0.0.0 Safari/537.36" --header "Referer: https://player.pbs.org/" --save-name "The War Cabinet _ FRONTLINE _ PBS _ Official Site _ Documentary Series"
    https://gofile.io/d/x7hb2UEZ
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thank you, you're a star!
    A bit puzzling that VPN can make things so complicated with yt-dlp but otherwise it works wonderfully.
    And yeah, using that link opens up the video globally (and also makes yt-dlp download the subtitles without issues globally) but I'm not sure I could have found the video link myself.
    Quote Quote  
  10. No DRM
    Use Stream Detector
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads

Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!