VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    I know it has been discussed a little in the past, but many years have passed and maybe there's something more updated for my use case.
    I have bought the first DVD seasons of Family Guy TV show, for digital conservation on my hard drives. They were originally produced for the NTSC distribution (4:3 full frame), they never have been restored, nor re-released in a better format. The only available options in the market are the old DVD releases, NTSC or PAL, from mid 2000's. That's all.

Hence, I have opted for the Region 1 US/Canada releases, hoping for less artifacts caused by framerate conversion. I have found good deals on used markets. Well, as others commented in this forum many many years ago the quality is criminal. I will show here few samples just to let you understand what I am talking about.

My whole point here is that I want to come up with a solution that can be systematic and that doesn't require me watching each episode to clean frame-by-frame (we're talking about more than 100 episodes). I am pretty open to any tool (as long as it can be run on linux). I have a good background in programming and I am familiar with video manipulation (as a teenager I was using Avisynth, so we can go to that level), and I am ready to take a "masterclass" on this topic as long as it can be "set and forget" for all DVDs. At most it can be finetune for each season/release but then I am hoping to massively run encodings.

Side comment. In the library of my home town they have the PAL editions (in case someone could confirm they are better for some reason ).

Where I am now: I have extracted 1:1 copies with MakeMKV for each episode with Engilish audio and subs only. Mediainfo reports the following for the Mpeg2 track

Code:
    Video
    ID                                       : 1
    ID in the original source medium         : 224 (0xE0)
    Format                                   : MPEG Video
    Format version                           : Version 2
    Format profile                           : Main@Main
    Format settings                          : CustomMatrix / BVOP
    Format settings, BVOP                    : Yes
    Format settings, Matrix                  : Custom
    Format settings, GOP                     : Variable
    Codec ID                                 : V_MPEG2
    Codec ID/Info                            : MPEG 1 or 2 Video
    Duration                                 : 22 min 32 s
    Bit rate mode                            : Variable
    Bit rate                                 : 5 671 kb/s
    Maximum bit rate                         : 9 800 kb/s
    Width                                    : 720 pixels
    Height                                   : 480 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 4:3
    Frame rate mode                          : Variable
    Frame rate                               : 24.586 FPS
    Original frame rate                      : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
    Standard                                 : Component
    Color space                              : YUV
    Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
    Bit depth                                : 8 bits
    Scan type                                : Progressive
    Scan order                               : 2:3 Pulldown
    Compression mode                         : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.667
    Time code of first frame                 : 00:59:58;00
    Time code source                         : Group of pictures header
    Stream size                              : 914 MiB (97%)
    Language                                 : English
    Default                                  : No
    Forced                                   : No
    Color primaries                          : BT.601 NTSC
    Transfer characteristics                 : BT.601
    Matrix coefficients                      : BT.601
    Original source medium                   : DVD-Video
    Problem 1: interlaced frames
    Frames are supposed to be progressive at 23.976 FPS. It mostly is, but here and there we can see the following:
    [Attachment 83109 - Click to enlarge]

Problem 2: jigsaw on oblique lines
    This issue is much more frequent. Even with static scenes, it looks like frames were downsampled vertically and then upscaled, producing this "staircase" effect on lines.
    [Attachment 83110 - Click to enlarge]

Problem 3: vertically trembling scenes
    This is related to the previous problem. It seems that consecutive frames have been kind of shifted vertically, producing this annoying shaking effect (see `cut.mkv`).

Now... I have started to play a bit with Vapoursynth, looking for filters, but of course there's an ocean of options. I am hoping that someone is more updated to the new standard for old problems, or maybe someone has simply encoded these exact material. Any hint/recommendation/pointer is welcome!
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. The streaming quality isn't any better than the NTSC DVD? That would already be progressive and most likely be from the original progressive source material and at a higher bitrate than DVD.

If you do want to go the DVD route, PAL would have more vertical lines of resolution and if the frame rate is 25 or less, you wouldn't be giving up frame rate either, but I can't really comment on whether the quality is any better than NTSC.

There's likely some component of inverse telecine that should be done to get it back to whatever the original frame rate was, but there's an interesting thread here about it that shows different methods with different results:
    https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=175825#:~:text=When%20IVTC%20was%20applied%20...2019.181%20FPS.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by aramkolt View Post
    The streaming quality isn't any better than the NTSC DVD? That would already be progressive and most likely be from the original progressive source material and at a higher bitrate than DVD.
    That's true. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any way get those, not even _illegally_. Moreover, I think to remember that streaming editions (which honestly I haven't watched) are censored in some parts (which is a pity for that kind of show).
    Quote Quote  
  4. This video frame I think is really informative. Notice how the "staircase effect" only affects characters and furniture but not the overlay test (notice the "y" in particular, its oblique line is fine).
    [Attachment 83115 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  5. just clicking stuff together,... https://pastebin.com/TUc2Lkim
    Image Attached Files
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote