VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, I have windows 10 pro x64 and it is the worst os I have ever encountered, but I will stick to the reason that brings me here.

I have 2 monitors on my desk and I also have my computer connected to my onkyo reciever so I can watch movies on my tv and use my surround sound system........or at least I hoped, but windows 10 is absolutely ******* awful with multiple displays. With windows 7 it was as simple as tapping windows key + p and that was the entire job done.

However with windows 10 any and every time I try to swap main display all of the following happens.

-The taskbar breaks, completely unresponsive, cant click on anything
    -All programs I had running at the time are still open but are now also completely unresponsive and cannot be interacted with
    -All icons on my desktop are both moved and resized
    -When I try to swap back to having my main monitor as the active display all of the screens go black, no input works and I am forced to remove all the hdmi and dp cables except for that of my main monitor, restart my computer and then reconnect my secondary display and the tv
    -Any programs that capture or in any way display previews of active windows/programs, i.e OBS if they are running when I swap displays as above they are open but cannot be intereacted with and the preview theys how is a rapidly flashing mess that can only be stopped by doing the above and restarting the entire system.

The icons resizing, the preview problems in obs made me think maybe it was a problem running different displays at different resolutions but even when they are all set the same these problems still happen.
    It is also not a hardware issue or media player issue, this is the same hardware and the same media player I used when I had windows 7 and not once did I ever face even one of these problems that windows 10 give ad nauseam, it is the worst os to date and so far I have not been able to get any functionality from it through my own attempts.

If anyone has any advice, suggestions, tips I would greatly apprecaite them because right now going back to the infinitely better windows 7 or linux seem to be my only viable options to actually be able to use my displays and the surround sound.

Thank you
    Last edited by Saitama; 25th Jul 2022 at 15:32.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Saitama View Post
    Hello, I have windows 10 pro x64 and it is the worst os I have ever encountered, but I will stick to the reason that brings me here.

I have 2 monitors on my desk and I also have my computer connected to my onkyo reciever so I can watch movies on my tv and use my surround sound system........or at least I hoped, but windows 10 is absolutely ******* awful with multiple displays. With windows 7 it was as simple as tapping windows key + p and that was the entire job done.

However with windows 10 any and every time I try to swap main display all of the following happens.

-The taskbar breaks, completely unresponsive, cant click on anything
    -All programs I had running at the time are still open but are now also completely unresponsive and cannot be interacted with
    -All icons on my desktop are both moved and resized
    -When I try to swap back to having my main monitor as the active display all of the screens go black, no input works and I am forced to remove all the hdmi and dp cables except for that of my main monitor, restart my computer and then reconnect my secondary display and the tv
    -Any programs that capture or in any way display previews of active windows/programs, i.e OBS if they are running when I swap displays as above they are open but cannot be intereacted with and the preview theys how is a rapidly flashing mess that can only be stopped by doing the above and restarting the entire system.

The icons resizing, the preview problems in obs made me think maybe it was a problem running different displays at different resolutions but even when they are all set the same these problems still happen.
    It is also not a hardware issue or media player issue, this is the same hardware and the same media player I used when I had windows 7 and not once did I ever face even one of these problems that windows 10 give ad nauseam, it is the worst os to date and so far I have not been able to get any functionality from it through my own attempts.

If anyone has any advice, suggestions, tips I would greatly apprecaite them because right now going back to the infinitely better windows 7 or linux seem to be my only viable options to actually be able to use my displays and the surround sound.

Thank you
    try these youtube videos - https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=windows+10+multiple+display+
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Having setup up thousands of Win10 computers, many of which are multi-screen, I can tell you that Win10 is not the culprit. Or certainly not the only/major factor here.
    [Win]+[P] does work perfectly fine for Win10 and Win11. So do command line apps like DisplaySwitch.exe, DisplayChanger, NirSoft Multimonitor Tool, and PowerShell. I have created macros that allow home theater devices to interact with EventGhost to do those very commands, it is often works WHILE apps using both screens are running, and haven't had an issue in 2 years.
    (in fact, I'm writing this from a computer with 3, sometimes 4 screens, using Win10)

I'm guessing you have some faulty drivers, or the HDMI/DP/DVI/other connections you have to your screens are at fault.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Having setup up thousands of Win10 computers, many of which are multi-screen, I can tell you that Win10 is not the culprit. Or certainly not the only/major factor here.
    [Win]+[P] does work perfectly fine for Win10 and Win11. So do command line apps like DisplaySwitch.exe, DisplayChanger, NirSoft Multimonitor Tool, and PowerShell. I have created macros that allow home theater devices to interact with EventGhost to do those very commands, it is often works WHILE apps using both screens are running, and haven't had an issue in 2 years.
    (in fact, I'm writing this from a computer with 3, sometimes 4 screens, using Win10)

I'm guessing you have some faulty drivers, or the HDMI/DP/DVI/other connections you have to your screens are at fault.

Scott

Agree to disagree, our experiences are vastly different. I have had home systems/multimedia systems/ work systems, have managed workplace networks and set ups and throughout all the years with 7 not once did I experience a single issue that I have faced on a daily basis since 10 was forced down everyones throat.

As for the thoughts, unfortunately it's not as simple as that, all the drivers were showing as the latest versions and no issues were found, but did a clean install regardless and the problems I listed are are still present and consistent.
    As for the connections themselves, they all work fine, I mentioned in my first post about having to restart the computer with only the main monitor conencted when running multiple monitors inevitbly fucks up, all of my cables and all of the slots in my graphics card work fine to do so.

At the time of typing this I have just had to force a restart and lose all my open notes and my firefox tabs because I dared to think that the worst public OS ever could handle me turning on my second monitor so i could kep my eye on a remote test I have to run while also getting some other work done on my main monitor.

If your experience is different to mine, that is truly good for you, but as far as every troubleshoot and information box shows as well as behaviour outside of multiple monitors shows, there are no faults with my computer, gpu, cables, display setttings etc. Since downgrading to 10 swapping or even just turning on a second display instantly messes up every single currently active thing on my computer without fail and with no warnings, errors, logs to even let me try and diagnose anything. The closest I have ever gotten to having a functional multiple display set up with windows 10 still required Ctrl+shift+escape to open the task manager and forcing explorer to restart every time any interaction happened across monitors because again the taskbar and all currently open programs/windows would remain technically active but become wholly unresponsive and forcing explorer to restart at least allowed me to log out and back in instead of a hard restart
    Quote Quote