VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I just got this VCR for $15 because I saw it was listed for parts as it wouldn't accept tapes and I thought it would be easy to fix. When I took it home it powers on but flashes an "auto" evey 5 secs it also doesn't seem to respond to button presses I tryed googling the problem but I get a very of different results and youtube doesn't seem to help either.

It's a JVC SR-TS1U (I can't find may videos or information about it and I don't want to take it apart because I can't find a service manual)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Something is wrong with it.

It could literally be anything:
    - bad caps
    - bad power board
    - seized transport
    - bad motherboard

Service manual needed.

You put in $15, pulled the slots handle, and it gave you lemons and plums. You lost.

VCR buying is gambling these days, not buying, unless you get it from reputable sources.

There's really nothing professional about that model, it's just a lower-end non-TBC JVC S-VHS deck. Pro decks have TBCs. I hated JVC marketing at the end there.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Appreciate the comment though to be fair I should have also been more specific. When I first got it I plugged it in and it flashed auto. I opened it and see what go wrong and after some careful looking and inspecting it still flashed auto. I saw the battery bay for CR2025 and replaced it same thing happened. As of now I just need to understand the blinking auto issue because no source I looked up is definitive on it and the instruction manual troubleshooting didn't help either (came with no remote as well).

The loading mechanism is also stuck I'm not sure if it's related to the blinking auto issue. When I can I'll try to disassemble it at least $15 isn't the end of the world.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Lights don't flash by themselves so you know at least that there is power and the controller IC is running. Regular flashing like that is telling you an error code but without the manual you will never know what the code means. It could be a sensor telling it the mechanism has a fault or it could be some other part of the electronics reporting a bad status. So many parts are interactive!

Brian.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Rumor has it, Use the original remote controller and hold the power button down for 6 to 10 seconds aiming at the VCR "obviously", it should then power up and work properly, Don't take my word for it.
    Quote Quote