VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. have an Orico enclosure case model 25pw1 and a Seagate ST500LM030 HDD, the case contains a sponge I think its material is EVA and the manual says to place this sponge in the lower part of the case but this sponge in direct contact with the lower part of the HDD and the exposed flat cable, will the pressure between the sponge and the HDD damage the HDD flat cable in the long term or is it safe?

[Attachment 82704 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 82705 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 82706 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think the sponge purpose is to minimize the vibration of the HDD and perhaps give it a better shock absorption in case it falls to the ground from a height. If you are worried about the sponge touching the flexible cable, then just place it somewhere else which you think is safe.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I already installed it in the same place as in the photos, I would only change the position if it really was a problem of damaging the HDD flat cable or damaging the silver sticker of HDD.

video similar my situation
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQLlNjFQIB8
    Last edited by patrion87; 6th Oct 2024 at 12:08.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The most that may happen is the pad may deteriorate and stick to the bottom of the drive. It's non-conductive, so there's no harm.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I think the sponge is made of EVA but I don't know if it degrades, melt and sticks to the HDD, it would be another concern besides the possible pressure and damage of the sponge on the flat cable and silver adhesive on the HDD.
    Quote Quote