VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I bought an HDD enclosure to that I could connect an internal 2.5" Sata drive taken from my broken Toshiba laptop and connect it but to my new Idepad. I managed to do very easily and the stored files were easily found, but now when I try and connect the enclosure with Sata drive inside it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting. Is this down to the USB cable, the USB ports or the harddrive itself?. Yesterday I had it connected to a USB hub which then connected directly to my laptop's USB port whilst I had a flash drive slotted in the other port plus my mouse in the the other USB port on my laptop. I've swapped over cables from my other external HDDs but it keeps doing the same.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is the enclosure for 2.5" and 3.5" disks?
    I use Ugreen 2.5" enclosures and they work very well. I think I used about 6 already with no issues.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post
    Is the enclosure for 2.5" and 3.5" disks?
    I use Ugreen 2.5" enclosures and they work very well. I think I used about 6 already with no issues.
    It's for a 2.5". I think it's a non brand enclosure, it just has on the case "2.5" SSD/HDD External Case USB 3.0". I know one of my older external drives sometimes has problems when I connect it to my laptop, but I think with that it was because of the cable, but with the enclosure with the 2.5" HDD inside I'm not sure. If I had bought the wrong type then it wouldn't work when I first used it, but now all it's doing is trying to connect with the port and then disconnects. I can hear and feel the HDD moving so it's working.
    Last edited by techmot; 20th Jul 2023 at 10:47.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Anyone know?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try a different cable and port. 2.5" drives get their power solely from USB. USB ports, especially on laptops are sometimes bridged internally, sharing the available power. Unplug your flash drive and mouse and try again.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hope you disconnected it the safe way. Because if you just pulled out the cable, it might corrupt the HDD. If not then it might be the enclosure is not of good quality and you need to buy another reliable one like Ugreen.
    Do you have a simple Sata-to USB adapter (not enclosure) that you can use to test?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post
    I hope you disconnected it the safe way. Because if you just pulled out the cable, it might corrupt the HDD. If not then it might be the enclosure is not of good quality and you need to buy another reliable one like Ugreen.
    Do you have a simple Sata-to USB adapter (not enclosure) that you can use to test?
    I did have to pull the cable out a few times but had no choice because the drive wouldn't show, it kept connecting and then after it automatically opened the files to view it just closed down again when I tried to access a folder, so I had no way to disconnect it safely as there was no way to safe remove it using the hardware and eject media from the taskbar, nor could I eject the drive by right clicking it. I've done this a few times with my other HDDs and luckily never managed to damage them. Seems like there's either a problem with the Sata drive or the enclosure. I don't have a Sata to USB adapter. Also often the slightest move of the cable that is connected to it can make it disconnect, no idea why, and I sometimes carry to laptop with the HDD still attached (not a good idea I suppose).

I suppose having one than one HDD plugged into the different ports doesn't help.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I seem to be getting a few other problems going on as well. Just eariier I left my laptop idle (I set the power setting to 2 hours so that it didn't go into sleep mode) and came back to find that my log into the forum had disappeared so had to log back in, and Gimp which I was running at the time had stopped but no sign of the machine having rebooted. I'm getting the feeling I've a virus, not helped that my antivirus has expired yet I've only had the laptop for just over a month and half.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Here is the answer..Take the drive out of that enclosure because your ideapad cannot power it up properly it will shutdown and try to start it up again and again,, the cycle will not stop..if you want that laptop to read and write from that hard drive then your gonna have to put it into a hard drive dock that is powered into a wall outlet and then plugged into your ideapad's usb or, get the information you want off that enclosed hard drive through a a destop pc that has the power to start it up and drive it..Then put the info your looking for from that hard drive into a usb flash drive that your ideapad can then power and read and write from..
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by mrsalty View Post
    Here is the answer..Take the drive out of that enclosure because your ideapad cannot power it up properly it will shutdown and try to start it up again and again,, the cycle will not stop..if you want that laptop to read and write from that hard drive then your gonna have to put it into a hard drive dock that is powered into a wall outlet and then plugged into your ideapad's usb or, get the information you want off that enclosed hard drive through a a destop pc that has the power to start it up and drive it..Then put the info your looking for from that hard drive into a usb flash drive that your ideapad can then power and read and write from..
    So do you think it's because the Ideapad can't read the HDD in the enclosure because it's not powerful enough via the USB port?. I do have another laptop that still works but it is very slow, but it should be able to read the enclosed HDD. Maybe when I had the laptop on battery last night when I had the enclosure connect to it that it caused to go faulty due to there being not enough power, maybe I don't know. Strange other things are going wrong with my Ideapad now all of sudden, like my Opera browser when I bring up a new tab and type in a search engine address nothing happens it just can't find it, yet my internet isn't down. Looks like it could be a virus.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by techmot View Post
    Originally Posted by mrsalty View Post
    Here is the answer..Take the drive out of that enclosure because your ideapad cannot power it up properly it will shutdown and try to start it up again and again,, the cycle will not stop..if you want that laptop to read and write from that hard drive then your gonna have to put it into a hard drive dock that is powered into a wall outlet and then plugged into your ideapad's usb or, get the information you want off that enclosed hard drive through a a destop pc that has the power to start it up and drive it..Then put the info your looking for from that hard drive into a usb flash drive that your ideapad can then power and read and write from..
    So do you think it's because the Ideapad can't read the HDD in the enclosure because it's not powerful enough via the USB port?. I do have another laptop that still works but it is very slow, but it should be able to read the enclosed HDD. Maybe when I had the laptop on battery last night when I had the enclosure connect to it that it caused to go faulty due to there being not enough power, maybe I don't know. Strange other things are going wrong with my Ideapad now all of sudden, like my Opera browser when I bring up a new tab and type in a search engine address nothing happens it just can't find it, yet my internet isn't down. Looks like it could be a virus.
    you need to use an external power supply ( AC Adapter) with your External HDD enclosure your USB ports
    may not have enough power for your External HDD enclosure.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    you need to use an external power supply ( AC Adapter) with your External HDD enclosure your USB ports
    You're probably right there. But how was it able to power up in the first place if there wasn't enough power?.

What external HHD AC powered enclosure do you recommend please?. It may not be that that is causing to disconnect.
    Last edited by techmot; 20th Jul 2023 at 15:50.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    I don't think that it's the enclosure itself that may not have enough power from USB only, because I tried the enclosure on an old HP laptop running on Vista and it was able to detect the HDD, though took a few minutes as it's quite a slow and old laptop. Why it wouldn't work on my new Ideapad where it just kept disconnecting no matter which USB ports I tried I don't know, but initially it did work on the Ideapad. Seems like the issue maybe with the Ideapad with the power as it doesn't use the same high powered power cable that most standard laptops use.
    Quote Quote  
  14. It seems like a not enough power from the usb ports. My two android tv boxes have trouble with the external 2tb usb3 hdd it keeps clicking and disconnecting but when I put another usb male to male cable ( to bump the wattage) on the box from the phone charger to the box then it reads it ok. Try with external 5v power supply for the encloser
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by mammo1789 View Post
    It seems like a not enough power from the usb ports. My two android tv boxes have trouble with the external 2tb usb3 hdd it keeps clicking and disconnecting but when I put another usb male to male cable ( to bump the wattage) on the box from the phone charger to the box then it reads it ok. Try with external 5v power supply for the encloser
    Yeah it does seem like the power. I suppose if the older laptop can detect it then that should be fine for now as I just wanted to transfer whatever files are on stored on it to my other external HDD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In my experience, I have found that different brands of (2½") hdds, the power requirements can be quite different.
    Toshiba's typically draw more current than WD's for instance. I am looking at a Tosh rite now that draws 0.9 amps at (duh!) 5 volts, and a WD at 0.5 amps. For me the issue is for old IDE drives. I use either usb housing with a 5v input plug (5v wall wart with ± ⅛" barrel plug), or one of the usb cables with 'data' and an extra 'power' plug. Sata is no problemo as I use removeable drive trays, ie, 5v & 12v comes from the power supply.

-corne-
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote