VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Wanting to copy a DVD, but the disc has scuff marks around the periphery as well as minor scratch marks (not seen in photo). It is difficult to copy this disc because the DVD reader can't read some of the disc content due to the scuff marks (and possibly due to minor scratch marks as well).

Looking at cleaning this disc in the hope of eventually being able to copy all of the DVD content.

I've looked at several disc cleaning method videos online, but I have some doubt as to the validity of the cleaning methods, and there seems to be a risk of permanently damaging the DVD disc, which I don't want.

What are known reliable and effective DVD disc cleaning methods/procedures that actually work and minimize chances of permanent disc damage?

Prefer responses from people who have actually carried out the procedure (successfully) themselves.

Thank you.

[Attachment 82594 - Click to enlarge]

EDIT: Forgot to mention that there are no professional disc cleaning services in my area (as far as I'm aware), so I can't use a professional cleaning service (locally).
    Last edited by meeshu; 2nd Oct 2024 at 10:09. Reason: Professional cleaning note
    Quote Quote  
  2. My experience has been BAD trying home cleaning methods.
    So I would recommend finding a professional disk cleaning business.
    They have machines for polishing the disk.
    It is impractical for a person cleaning a disk for their own use to have one of these machines.

I have tried toothpaste (A joke IMO).
    Car polishing & rubbing compound.
    All of these left the disk "cloudy" not clean & shiny like new.

If Isopropyl alcohol on a microcloth & a dry buffing with a microcloth doesn't clean the disk enough.
    Then I would not use other home cleaning methods.

Try a program named IsoPuzzle to rip the DVD disk.
    It has to be used with a decrypter like DVDFab Passkey.
    Or AnyDVD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the comments.

I forgot to mention that there are no known professional disc cleaning businesses in my area, unfortunately.

Yes, I'm a bit wary of these home remedy solutions to clean DVD's. But I'm still trying to keep an open mind on what method works best for cleaning discs without damage.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For very light scratches and scuffs, this kind of product can be helpful
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	so.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	82607  

Quote Quote  
  5. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Practice on a blank disc first: wet sand with 1500 grit sandpaper for big scratches then again lightly with 2500-3000 grit. Then with a drill and buffing pad use turtle wax polish compound or headlight compound and spray water and buff. Have done many of times but if you never have before you will ruin a disc. There will be light swirls afterwards but the disc will work again
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks for the comments.

I'm still undecided which method to use though. But I'm leaning more towards using iso-propyl alcohol with a follow up fine polishing afterwards (but not decided on what polishing compound and polishing procedure to use). I have doubts that the iso-propyl alcohol will remove the scuff marks, but maybe it will?

Sandpaper? A bit reluctant to use that, even ultra fine grit, as it may cause (permanent) damage to the DVD(?)

Baking soda based toothpaste?

Any other suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  7. @ meeshu,
    What the alcohol will do is clean any "dirt" out of the scratches.
    This can allow the laser to read them but will not most of the time.

If you try polishing do as dannyboy48888 suggested : Start with a blank or even another burned disk you consider disposable.
    Even put some light scratches on it.
    I have tried automotive polishing & rubbing compound but only by hand.
    This resulted in a cloudy appearance that was worse to read than just the scratches.
    So you will need a buffer pad & arbor to hold it that can be used with a drill.(I never took this step).
    But dannyboy48888 posted it is the way to get a good polish on a disk.

For sandpaper it has to be wet sandpaper.
    You should not buy by "ultrafine" but by the grit.
    You might find the 1500 but I had to order some online to get the even finer grits.
    This removed the scratches but I guess I needed to do the drill & buffer pad step.
    Because with just sanding the DVD still was not able to be read.

Toothpaste is a joke. Baking soda or other.
    If you believe baking soda will do it then try a paste of just baking soda & water.
    I never had any luck with this method.
    Again maybe with a polishing pad it would work.
    Last edited by cholla; 5th Oct 2024 at 09:51.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I’ve read that Brasso can be helpful but I never tried it. It’s all the same theme, though.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Before investing money and more time, inspect the suspected scratched areas with a decent magnifying lens to make certain they are surface scratches and not a separation of disk layers. If they are surface scratches, an aviation or maritime plastic polish that is rated for polycarbonate plastic can usually remove the scratches and not fog up the surface. Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    In Texas, United States. Home Depot had all the grits in the paint dept. And yes toothpaste and baking soda will not work. otherwise it would harm your teeth every time your brushed from being too strong and not dissolving
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm also a Texan.
    I remember now why I decided to get my sandpaper online.
    Home Depot 10 sheets for $8.98 per grit.
    Amazon: multi grit packs for less with many more sheets.
    Multi Pack 1

https://www.amazon.com/HARFINGTON-Sandpaper-Finishing-Automotive-Polishing/dp/B0D5RJ96...6&sr=8-74&th=1
    Quote Quote