VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    currently have small sattelites (tweeter and small 3" driver) on desktop and a 12" active sub to the side of the desk. the small speakers are missing a gap between its small 3" midrange driver to the 12" sub. I want something with fuller immersive sound. they sound "ok" for YT or low volume videos. but they arent great for music or for enjoying a movie at all. very tin-ey and shrill and its missing midrange midbass sound

neighbor is moving and wants to sell me his speakers for very little. microlab solo 9c. they are 24"/60cm tall. he has these on the edge of his tv entertainment stand

I was curious if I could use these microlab on my pc desk? Id have to move the pc case off the desk or it would all be a tight fit.

but it would give me the midbass Id like. it might make the sub unnecessary. I dont need high volume but the small sats are lacking. they have their place but probably better for a basic office desk setup

whats your opinion
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Microlab Solo 9C looks like decent speakers with several inputs which are useful if you have more gadgets to connect to the speakers and presumably comes with a remote controller. If the price is good and they are in good condition, try them on your desk and check how they sound.
    I have recently bought Edifier R1280DB and they sound great on my desk. The PC sits on a small table to the left of the desk and the speakers sit between the monitor.
    The Microlab has more speakers so it looks like a good bargain.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    thanks for the quick reply. I have considered edifier and was looking for a taller set then the ones you have somehting with a 6.5". basically something a bit taller then the model you got but less then the 9c but he contacted me and asked me if I want to buy the solo so I guess Ill have to bear the size of them. it will be a monstrosity on the desk but I want at least a 6.5" for the immersive sound. im happy i have the sub as it really fills in the deep hum in music and videos.

I think it will be too large for the desktop but ill have to bear it.

my other worry is how do I activate my sub now. now I have a simple dac that goes to a small 4.1 amp. the amp powers 2 sats and gives out a signal for the sub. now these are powered which means no need for amp. its from dac dual rca to the speakers and that takes out the sub. the rear has these connections

http://microlab.com/uploads/catalog/stereosystem/solo-9c/17.jpg

I dont think ill be able to connect the sub into the system. ill find out how I can get it connected as well.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is an Edifier with sub active speaker out and a good size like mine R1280DBs
    https://www.edifier.com/global/p/bookshelf-speakers/r1280dbs

Or

https://www.edifier.com/global/p/bookshelf-speakers/s3000mkii but it is too expensive
    Last edited by Subtitles; 21st Sep 2024 at 06:57.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    thanks for the reply. if i did purchase an edifier it wouldnt be new. I always like looking for used gear. from phones to tools to laptops to cars to a clothes dryer. I like buying used stuff. its really my thing.

I was on the lookout for a deal for speakers on CL but thes microlab just fell in my lap. ill probably get them and ill figure out a way to connect the sub too.

appreciate the help
    Quote Quote