VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, i was given a bunch of video files by a friend of my Sister, apparently these were recorded on a mobile phone in 1080p portrait mode like so many people seem to do these days (which i hate) but they are easier to watch on a phone as you don't need to rotate the phone around to the landscape mode, which would make the video almost impossible to see anyway.

Now my question, these files somehow got converted to 1080p again, but in the landscape mode, so now the files have black bars on each side to create the 1920x1080 files as they are now.

I know that VRD Pro has a Crop tool, but i have never used it before so i have no idea how to use it or if it is accurate or not.

Obviously if i crop just the sides off, my file will be 1080 in height x whatever it will be in width, and that is fine, whatever it will be.

If not VRD, what other tool might i be able to use.

I would prefer to keep the cropped files at a 16x9 ratio/resolution so if i have to crop the top/bottom a bit as well, that is ok too.

Cheers

[Attachment 82075 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Post a mediainfo report (text mode) from this video here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There are many encoder tools which can do this of course.

Something simple?
    Originally Posted by The_Doman View Post
    There is virtualdub of course but may you could try Avidemux?
    AviDemux latest Nightly builds
    Is has a crop/mask filter you can easily adjust manually.

Avidemux Crop filter:
    [Attachment 80851 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you want your final frame to be 16:9 with no sidebars, you'll have a massacre on your hands!

[Attachment 82092 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    If you want your final frame to be 16:9 with no sidebars, you'll have a massacre on your hands!

[Attachment 82092 - Click to enlarge]
    No, not cropping to 16x9 ratio in landscape as you show the crop frame in your image, i said the following in my opening post.

Obviously if i crop just the sides off, my file will be 1080 in height x whatever it will be in width, and that is fine, whatever it will be.

Obviously the videos were recorded in 1920x1080 so the original height would have been 1920 pixels x 1080 pixels wide, but when someone butchered these and converted them to 1920x1080 in landscape mode, the actual image ended up at 1080 in height, and around 605 in width within the 1920x1080 frame.

I am happy to keep them at the 1080 height x 605 or whatever it will be when cropped because they will only be watched on mobile phones in portrait mode, the quality will be fine regardless of the bitrate that i re-encode them at.

[Attachment 82094 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Fair enough, I was just addressing this statement:
    I would prefer to keep the cropped files at a 16x9 ratio/resolution so if I have to crop the top/bottom a bit as well, that is ok too.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Maybe you do not need any crop. Post the mediainfo report.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Fair enough, I was just addressing this statement:
    I would prefer to keep the cropped files at a 16x9 ratio/resolution so if I have to crop the top/bottom a bit as well, that is ok too.
    Yeah i got it now that you mention that bit.

this is a frame from one video

[Attachment 82099 - Click to enlarge]

This is the MediaInfo Tree

[Attachment 82098 - Click to enlarge]

I know that the videos were recorded at 1080p, but why would somewone convert them like this to 1080p in landscape mode which had to add the black bars to the sides, this just means that the image portion is a lot harder to see when watching on a phone.

I might be able to find out what software was used.
    Last edited by Bridgy; 9th Sep 2024 at 11:02.
    Quote Quote  
  9. OK, you need crop.
    Use clever FFmpeg-GUI.
    Load your file, click main, click encode videostream, click crop detect, click preview.
    If the preview is ok then click OK,done, else click next crop and preview again.
    In the next screen make your encoding settings and encode your video.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There's only one thing worse than 9:16 video, and that's 9:16 with burned-in sidebars!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There's only one thing worse than 9:16 video, and that's 9:16 with burned-in sidebars!
    I personally HATE phone videos when they record in Portrait mode, and it is very prevalent these days, and when i ask those around me why they do it, they all say that it is better for watching on the phone, and i agree, a 16x9 portrait mode video is good to watch on the phone as you view it in portrait mode, if you rotate the phone to landscape mode your video is very hard to see, but me, i only ever recorded once in Portrait mode and that was to record my new Bathroom because it was a confined space and it just made it easier for me.

Why these videos were ruined the way they were is beyond me, but i did find out that the person who processed these videos used Aiseesoft Video Converter, which is pretty much crap anyway.

I am still trying to work out this Clever FFmpeg Gui tool, it seems to slow my 6 core metabox laptop down a lot when the preview box appears, sometimes it locks up but the audio keeps playing, sometimes it just locks up completely and i can't close it without having to stop it in task manager.
    Quote Quote