VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought a DVD to learn to play guitar. It has lots of exercises, but the beginning of each chapter is the guy saying something like "Now we're gonna play blah blah blah and then there's a countdown, all of which takes several seconds. Because these exercises are not easy for me, I keep pressing the chapter back button, but I have to hear the guy again talking about the song, and this can go dozens of times until I get it right. After two weeks of doing this, I thought "I need to find a better way to do this".

So I want to do a simple thing, just edit the DVD structure to add an extra chapter per lesson, that way when I skip back, it goes to the beginning of the song, not the introduction.

If I have to do this manually, I would use TS Muxer to export to an M2TS file, then I would load it in Premiere CS6, then add chapters everywhere I want. Then send to Encore CS6 and Bob's your uncle. But, this means I'd have to either create all the chapters the disc has already, or perhaps find a tool to extract them, then add them to Premiere. If that tool even exists.

But what I would prefer to find, and so far my search has come empty, is a tool that allows me to add chapters to the DVD structure already in place, then I burn that to another DVD, and that's it. Even if it doesn't have a timeline and it's totally text based, but it has to keep the chapters that the disc already has.

Does a tool like that exist?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVDRemakePro allows for this. You can find points for new chapters in video preview tab and apply 'Split here' command from right click menu. This splits a cell and you can add a 'program' attribute to the new one in 'Programs' tab, then re-register all programs as chapters in the VTS 'Title' of DVD tree. Since chapter numbers will change, you will also need to edit menu button commands in the video preview tab. Then export the DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alex_ander View Post
    DVDRemakePro allows for this. You can find points for new chapters in video preview tab and apply 'Split here' command from right click menu. This splits a cell and you can add a 'program' attribute to the new one in 'Programs' tab, then re-register all programs as chapters in the VTS 'Title' of DVD tree. Since chapter numbers will change, you will also need to edit menu button commands in the video preview tab. Then export the DVD.
    Thanks, I'll give that a try. Looks like it's shareware, but it hasn't been developed in 17 years so hopefully it will work in Windows 10, and not be crippled in any way for being shareware, because I'm not paying anything for something that old.

Is there maybe something that will extract the chapters from a DVD? Because maybe if there's a newer program that is also free and can extract chapters to an EDL I can bring that into Premiere and just add the chapters I want manually, then author with Encore.
    Quote Quote