VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a folder of video files that are encrypted. They all have the extension .mcf. Also in the folder is a .db file.

I have industry specific software that plays these videos. The idea is that you login to a service (via the player), and you can download and play these videos. The files stay on my computer.

I tried changing the extension to various video formats, however the files won't play in other software (VLC, Handbrake, etc.) Also MediaInfo can't give me any details about these files (but I -know- they're the video files). I'm assuming there's encryption of some form at work.

I used DB Browser for SQLite to open the .db file, and I found a table that has a column with the downloaded filenames and a column labeled "dk", which I'm guessing might mean "decryption key". Each "key" is 59 characters long (letters and numbers) and strangely they all end with a capital "E".

I've scoured the web for more info, but I can't find anything that helps me learn which form of encryption may be at work here.

Does this type of encryption sound familiar to anyone?
    Quote Quote  
  2. For what reason do you want to decrypt?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I suspect that the decryption can only be done with your "industry specific software".
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  4. the extension of a file doesn't tell you much, mcf is a multimedia container format and in all honesty you don't even need an extension for a file, as long as the program knows how to use the file, it can have any extension or even no extension.

the set of characters you see in the database is the public decryption key, but if these people know what they are doing, which i am guessing they do, there is also a private key that gets downloaded when you try to play one of those files.

a skilled programmer could probably crack that encryption, by decompiling the binary to see what it is doing on the bytecode level, private key and also sniff packets with wireshark to try and capture the private key.

you are not going to find an automated way of doing this.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All good. I'm sure the software's well written. I went down a rabbit hole and curiosity led me here, so I wanted to ask in case it was some obvious thing. It'd be convenient to not be handcuffed, but I have no issue continuing to use the proprietary software. I appreciate the replies.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Feels Good Man 2nHxWW6GkN1l916N3ayz8HQoi's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If the videos are important, you could just record them. Who knows when their online service is gonna go away
    --[----->+<]>.++++++++++++.---.--------.
    [*drm mass downloader: widefrog*]~~~[*how to make your own mass downloader: guide*]
    Quote Quote